HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie angler strikes gold!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie angler strikes gold!

Name:  08142019goldcrappiedavidallensisson_t800.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  72.8 KB

Lake Columbia, Saturday July 27, local angler David Sisson certainly found the proverbial pot of gold when he netted a fish few in the fishing world have ever heard of. A golden crappie surfaced at the end of his line during one of his frequent trips to the 3,000-acre fishing destination located just west of Magnolia.
    Sisson was vertically jigging a sweat tea and lemon-colored Bobby Garland jig on a chartreuse jighead when the fish took the bait.
    “The jig is the same color as a little bluegill, and that’s what those fish are after down there this time of year,” Sisson said. “I’d caught about three crappie off the pile before that one hit. It hit just like a crappie and pulled just like a crappie, but when it got to the surface, I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was a beautiful fish like nothing I’d seen before.”
    Sisson’s luck continued. As he looked around after the catch, another angler was nearby, so he drove over to him to get a photo while the fish was fresh out of the water.
    “The pictures still don’t do it justice,” Sisson said. “It was amazing, and I just feel blessed to have caught it.”
    Arkansas Game and Fish Commission District Fisheries Supervisor and avid crappie angler Andy Yung also was excited to hear about the catch.
    “I had never seen a golden crappie in my life,” Yung said. “I’ve read about them, but it’s something you just never see in the wild.”
    Yung explains the gold coloration is caused by a genetic mutation called Xanthism, similar to what causes a rare animal to be an albino or the black pigmentation in some extremely rare cases of deer and other animals. Xanthic crappie not only are lottery-drawing rare, but their coloring can hinder their ability to survive. These sorts of animals usually stand out from the others and are typically eaten by predators long before they reach maturity.

Name:  tea.PNG
Views: 718
Size:  61.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

WOW what a fish!

Post Thanks / Like

I never even heard of them! That's what I get for being a rookie. That gold color on a fish is pretty neat though. Years ago in Montana I got a golden trout, only one I ever saw. Really cool looking fish! The crappie the guy is holding up looks huge compared to the crappie we get around here.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

gold crappie - Google Search

Check out the top three lines of pics for some "golden" Crappie

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

pretty fish
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good!! Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking fish
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful fish. Congrats You eat it or are you putting on the wall?

Post Thanks / Like

Thats really neat,awesome catch.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to put that on the wall. That's like a 250 class whitetail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast