Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WD-40 Who Knew

Post Thanks / Like

Default WD-40 Who Knew

Hey I found this looking for something else on the net thought some of you would appreciate it. They even say it can be a fish attreactor.
    Enjoy
    WD-40 Well, Who Knew...?

I had a neighbor who had bought a new pickup. I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown reason). I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news. He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do. Probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open.
    Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off. It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. I’m impressed! WD-40, who knew?

Water Displacement #40. The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a “water displacement” compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts. Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.

When you read the “shower door” part, try it. It’s the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It’s a miracle! Then try it on your stovetop... Voila! It’s now shinier than it’s ever been. You’ll be amazed.
    Here are some of the uses:

1) Protects silver from tarnishing.
    2) Removes road tar and grime from cars.
    3) Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
    4) Gives floors that ‘just-waxed’ sheen without making it slippery.
    5) Keeps flies off cows.
    6) Restores and cleans chalkboards.
    7) Removes lipstick stains.
    8) Loosens stubborn zippers.
    9) Untangles jewelry chains.
    10) Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
    11) Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
    12) Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
    13) Removes tomato stains from clothing.
    14) Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
    15) Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
    16) Keeps scissors working smoothly.
    17) Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes
    18) It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn’t seem to harm the finish and you won’t have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
    19) Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!
    20) Gives children’s play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
    21) Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.
    22) Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
    23) Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
    24) Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
    25) Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
    26) Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
    27) Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
    28) Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
    29) Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
    30) Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
    31) Removes splattered grease on stove.
    32) Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
    33) Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
    34) Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
    35) Removes all traces of duct tape.
    36) Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
    37) Florida’s favorite use is: “cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.”
    38) The favorite use in the state of New York WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
    39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it’s a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
    40) Use it for fire ant bites . It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
    41) WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
    42) Also, if you’ve discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and re-wash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!
    43) If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

P. S. The basic ingredient of WD-40 is FISH OIL.
    I was sent this e-mail by a friend and as I read it I couldn’t help thinking that spiritually we have a “do it all” problem solver as well. ”This third I will bring into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are my people,’ and they will say, ‘The LORD is our God.’ “ Zechariah 13:9 Don’t forget to use Him daily!
    ~Mr. Bralley
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

well slap me nekkid.

Post Thanks / Like

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!! Not this topic!

Whatever y'all do, please don't turn this into the nasty thread that this same posting started on the BassPro forums (http://forums.basspro.com/cgi-bin/ul...c;f=1;t=005658)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Before it goes there

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4
    OH NO!!!!!!!!!!! Not this topic!

Whatever y'all do, please don't turn this into the nasty thread that this same posting started on the BassPro forums (http://forums.basspro.com/cgi-bin/ul...c;f=1;t=005658)
    I do not think I would use it for fish attractant, but I find it interesting for all its others uses. Many may know about many may not. I've only used it to stop sqeaks and loosen bolts.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

same here - used it the other day to free up a rusted pair of needle-nose pliers.

On my old dodge caravan, i used to spray the ignition coil to keep condensation from getting into the connection (would cause it to not start) and it did the trick. I guess that goes to the WD part of it's name.

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

In my line of work we buy it in 1 gallon jugs and clean refrigeration condensers and parts with it. It's also known to eat steel so it isn't used on guns or small engines. I know some guys use it on corn to catch trout. And of course the ever present rumor it was designed many years ago as a fish attractant.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Another real good use for it is to spray the rubber seal inside your car doors on a night when you expect a good icing or freeze. This will keep your doors from freezing shut. Its a big help in the winter time.

Post Thanks / Like

Eons and eons ago when I first came to crappie.com we had this topic discussed. We came to the conclusion that its not fish oil based but petroleum based, and though it does work well as a fish attractant, (I used it one year with great success) we shouldn't pollute the waters we fish with it. Too bad because it works.
    Good things come to those who bait.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Exactly !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ
    Eons and eons ago when I first came to crappie.com we had this topic discussed. We came to the conclusion that its not fish oil based but petroleum based, and though it does work well as a fish attractant, (I used it one year with great success) we shouldn't pollute the waters we fish with it. Too bad because it works.
    There is NO fish oil in WD-40 !! (it mostly contains Petroleum Distillates, Petroleum Base oil, Hydrocarbon Fluid)
    There is a disclaimer, by the WD-40 company, to the effect that they DO NOT recommend it as a fish attractant.
    IT is a bio-hazard material ... (see MSDS for contents/hazard rating).

Here's a post from another website (Florida Sportsman), where one member contacted a WD-40 Customer Service Rep, concerning the use of WD-40 as a fish attractant :

The following is the reply to an email I sent to WD-40 with regards to it being useful as a fish attractant. I followed up on this by calling FWC and ask them and they agree 100%. They also add that ANY LEO can arrest someone for using it.

.................................................. ........
    Dear Mr. Adams,

Thank you for contacting the WD-40 Company.

WD-40 Company and the US Fish & Game Department do not recommend the use of WD-40 for fishing, due to contamination and water pollution.

Code 5650 explains pollution and is very specific:

"Any residuary product of petroleum, is prohibited and is illegal because that is a subject to water pollution and a civil penalty of not more than $25,000 for each violation".

It would be up to the Warden's discretion if this violation is justified and civil penalty action taken.

Thank you again for contacting the WD-40 Company. Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Best regards,
    Eva Zabowski
    WD-40 Customer Service
    .................................................. .......

Whether or not it works, as a fish attractant, is a mute point ... when you consider the potential environmental damage, and health risks, that are associated with the misuse of any product.
    The World Wide Web is like a piece of paper ... a piece of paper will lie still and let you write anything on it ... the "web" contains a lot of useful information, but also contains an equal amount of misinformation. When the manufacturing company, of a certain product, does not recommend its product be used for a certain application ... they're got good reasons for doing so !! Heed their message.

............ cp

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp
    This may tell you about it being Fish Oil..... :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast