HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Interesting Observation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Interesting Observation

So last week I was fishing and it was slow so I was going to change jig colors. I happened to have a nibble on and took it off but still had some left around hook so dipped in water and jerked really hard several times. I’m talking like hook setting, swinging for home run, fly swatting hard several times to remove the stuck on nibble mush. This quickly hooked me a fish. Wow, I thought let me try that again. Yup, another fish. Anybody ever had that experience? This was a much harder and violent yank of the jig then I’ve ever done or even would think would attract them but it did. Multiple times.
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post
    Thanks silverside thanked you for this post

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

So... you were kinda simulating fly fishing or am I not picturing it correctly ?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

No I dropped the jig in the water and was yanking hard to remove the junk.

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok got it. Never have seen that happen but hey...whatever works. Thanks for sharing that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting but not so much surprising. I have seen similar things many times although not anything exactly as you've described. The only way I might rationalize anything like it is: It gives the fish a presentation that they're not used to seeing and it elicits a reaction strike in response. I would guess that you got the bites on the second or third jerk or while it was suspended briefly between jerks.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

Post Thanks / Like

Try it with a 3 inch single tail grub in white and a eight ounce jig head. Snap it up 2 feet and let it settle for just a second. There are days it works wonders.

Post Thanks / Like

sometimes we pop jigs under floats REALLY hard and it works very well . I have been known to "popping" cork work them as well .
    I find it to be especially effective on river crappie , and I think it might be due to fish living in a current situation ?
    I do know sometimes really jerky jigs get bit really well for sure .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

I've read countless times where, in order to catch crappie, you have to go slow down.....and when you think you're going too slow......slow down even more! LOL!

Well, I gotta tell you, the more I fish the more I'm convinced that crappie LOVE speed. Sometimes going as fast as 1 1/2 - 2 mph. We first experienced this drift fishing in a 10 - 20 mph wind. Drifting with white caps, we literally tore 'em up! Our jigs seem to be water skiing at times, but the crappie didn't mind one bit.

Not surprising that your technique of fast movement does trigger bites. Thanks for sharing.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

Great info, thanks for sharing. I will file that one away in my got to try file.
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post