HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long do your minnow last on the hook/bobber setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default How long do your minnow last on the hook/bobber setup

Why some minnows die faster on the hook than others. I've had lively crappie minnows die within minutes compared to others lasting 1 hr or more on the hook. The ones dying fast I check for missing scales to see it was hit, with no scales missing it puzzles me why they die so fast.

Yesterday I put on a big healthy 2" chub on a dead line setup hanging over the boat. I checked it 5 minutes later, dead as a doornail. No scales missing so why would it die so fast?

For me they last longer when hook only thru open mouth thru nostrils. When retriving my bobber they come in natural head first thru the water compared to hooked in tail, less stress in nostril than tail I'm thinking.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was always told that you would "drown" a minnow by pulling it thru the water backwards.

Right now, if you drop a minnow below the thermocline level ... it'll die in short order. There ain't enough oxygen below that level.

When I used minnows, I always hooked them thru the eye socket (behind the eyeballs) when using a plain hook ... and from under the "chin" and out between the nostrils when using a jig.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere that they will live longer if you hook them thru the lips from the bottom up. Seems to work well for me.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Likes Duck_Jerky LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

minnows die fast because of water temp. When you take one out of the bucket it's in cool water, when it hits the warmer temp of the lake the shock of temp change will kill it pretty quick. Just like putting fish in an aquarium, you put them in there in the bag they came in for a couple of hours BEFORE you dump them into the water you never dump them in right away.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes Hanr3, DEADEYE LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

they need do for sure need similar water temps. from bucket to lake and don't do well in the heat . they also do much better lip hooked than in the body .
    in the summer keeping them alive is kind of tricky for sure .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Minnows are not as good as baby shad soft plastic baits for me.

Name:  Stinger 2.JPG
Views: 813
Size:  32.8 KB

Name:  Baby Shad.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  13.2 KB

Minnows will last longer for me when I hook them in the bottom lip. Having said that they will die fast as well as those in your minnow bucket if you do not keep them cool. That is a primary reason why I switched to minnow imitating soft plastic lures years ago. Tip the soft plastic with a crappie nibble or some slab sauce and you will be catching as many or more crappie than with minnows and without all the hassle of using minnows.

Mike
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes DRFISHDUCK LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep this time of year ..Hot Weather is a killer of Man and Bait......

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

'til a turtle comes by.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The minnows we buy around here are small 2" or less. Their mouths are so small wouldn't hooking thru lower and top lip pin their mouth shut so they can't breath. That's why I hook thru the mouth out the nostril so they can open their mouth.

The small lake I fish I'm told has a 12-14' thermocouple, max depth 25-30fot. Its has a 40-50ft bridge thru the middle forms a bottleneck to both sides. I fish under the bridge so I would think there's no lack of oxygen since deepest spot(9ft) is above the thermocouple.

I always replace the bucket water with lake water to get the minnow used to the warmer lake water temp. Should be no warm water shock to kill them.

With all that said it still puzzles me why some minnows will last a long time while others 5-10 minutes. There cheap $2 for 2+ doz. so I guess I shouldn't wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    Minnows are not as good as baby shad soft plastic baits for me.

Minnows will last longer for me when I hook them in the bottom lip. Having said that they will die fast as well as those in your minnow bucket if you do not keep them cool. That is a primary reason why I switched to minnow imitating soft plastic lures years ago. Tip the soft plastic with a crappie nibble or some slab sauce and you will be catching as many or more crappie than with minnows and without all the hassle of using minnows.

Mike
    I'm out from 7am till 2-3pm and after replacing bucket water with warm lake water in the mourn I very sledom have any die in the bucket. After 7-8 hrs they're still very lively when I go home.

I'm a lazy crappie fishermen that's why I use minnows. I don't jig or cast with soft plastic, I have 1 deadstick line over the boat edge and 2 bobber/hook. Spawn is the only time I cast with a bobber/jig setup.

Like I said I'm a lazy crappie fisherman. I set back and enjoy the day, to much work to jig or cast jigs all day
    Likes Crappieorbust LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast