Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen and oxygen tank on boat just looks dangerous

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oxygen and oxygen tank on boat just looks dangerous

This looks scary and probably really is dangerous too.

Do you think this could cause a fire or explosion?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=livewell+oxygen+injection+systems&sa=N&bi w=1152&bih=521&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=A_wih DloAQwYHM%253A%252CRQcn4Z7dPx_CJM%252C_&vet=1&usg= AI4_-kQED4WJ28AILdQCMCoDo1opbBVx3Q&ved=2ahUKEwjE8P-WoebiAhXhlOAKHYGZDro4ChD1ATAIegQIBxAM#imgrc=A_wihD loAQwYHM

I’ve read on fishing forums that oxygen tanks and pure oxygen is really dangerous on any boat. Don’t mount the tank in a boat’s bilge, near oil or live electricity, yada, yada… fire and explosion hazard yada, yada?

This looks like real bad place on a boat for pure 100% oxygen an O2 tank to me.

What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

I see little old ladies with green bottles all the time...at Wal Mart...

but its a good reminder Don’t mount the tank in a boat’s bilge, near oil or live electricity, yada, yada… fire and explosion hazard yada, yada?

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
    I see little old ladies with green bottles all the time...at Wal Mart...

but its a good reminder Don’t mount the tank in a boat’s bilge, near oil or live electricity, yada, yada… fire and explosion hazard yada, yada?
    Me too, never saw one blow up yet. Hope I never do. Except the ones that forgot their glasses and pull out their coin purse at check out.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Most the people I've seen on oxygen couldn't get in the boat in the first place.
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I worked around oxygen tanks during my entire forty year career. I never saw an oxygen tank explode, or rupture. Oxygen is by itself non-explosive. Its presence will accelerate an already burning material. We all would be surprised to know the number of times we pass by oxygen tanks and never know they are there.

Post Thanks / Like

About 40% of the guys around Galveston and about every guide I have ever seen, have them in their bay boats if they use live bait. I know about 20 people personally that have had them for years and years and I have never seen or heard of a problem. I have installed probably 8 of the 20 myself and every one I have ever seen are mounted in the bilge or in the center console. Where else would you mount the bottle rack and have the bottle and lines out of the way? I will say this, that in the heat of the summer down here being well in to the upper 90s to 100 degree days it 100% helps keep bait alive. If I was a live bait guy, it would be in my bay boat no questions asked. It's almost a priceless tool.
    Likes USMA65, ad1974 LIKED above post

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say the gas tank itself poses way more hazards.

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen people with a lit cigarette in one hand with there oxygen mask in the other. They were taking a draw (smoke) then a draw of oxygen. Very dangerous. Smoking in a boat with gas in close quarters is very dangerous also.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Only if they took a draw of oxygen and then exhaled it through the lite cigarette. Oxygen does not burn. Oxygen in proximity to an open flame will cause the flame to burn much more intensely.

Post Thanks / Like

Both my wife and one of my fishing buddies use O2 constantly. No problems, no worries. You might run into trouble if you were using these in a small closed boat cabin that also had a stove! A little common sense goes a long way.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes USMA65, Redge LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast