Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Braid for long lining jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Braid for long lining jigs

Any of you guys use braid for your long lining jigs setup? I usually use 4-6lb hi-viz mono but thinking about trying yellow 10lb braid to a small swivel and then a leader of clear line to the jig(s). Should help with line twists when a bluegill pecks my plastics down and causes them to spin, and then I can run 4lb in open water and 8-10lb mono leaders when in the really snaggy stuff and not have to respool my reels over and over.

Anyone see anything wrong with this?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you are long lining jigs, I'm assuming you don't really have a need for heavy braid. Not sure of the water conditions you are faced with, but we side pull jigs with 2# test Fireline Crystal very effectively. I use a 4' leader section of 4# test fluorocarbon for abrasion resistance and we're good to go. I think the braid cuts the water better (less bow in the line) and much more sensitive than mono or fluoro alone. JMO.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Thanks Kevin22 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think the braid cuts the water better (less bow in the line) and much more sensitive than mono or fluoro alone.
    And because of that, great long distance strike-detection sensitivity and hooksets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Well, if you are long lining jigs, I'm assuming you don't really have a need for heavy braid. Not sure of the water conditions you are faced with, but we side pull jigs with 2# test Fireline Crystal very effectively. I use a 4' leader section of 4# test fluorocarbon for abrasion resistance and we're good to go. I think the braid cuts the water better (less bow in the line) and much more sensitive than mono or fluoro alone. JMO.
    Two conditions really, night and day different. Open dirty water and clear water with lots of submerged trees (they stage on top of the trees 5-6' below the surface).

Are you using real 2lb fireline or 2lb dia 6lb test? Ive used 2 and 3lb fireline crystal for ice fishing in the past and it wasnt very strong, i think I may lose the whole rig if I got a line hung in a tree

I said 10lb mostly because i already have a ton of it, but also because the 10lb power pro braid is 2lb mono diameter so is nice and thin. Plus it has a breaking strength of more than the leaders I use (run a lot of double jigs), so i may just lose one jig instead of two if i found a tree.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using 2# Test Fireline. It's about .5 lb. test diameter. I've taken some pretty large fish on these rigs. Using the Alberto knot for the leader joint works quite well. It's amazing how strong and sensitive this line is. No problem using 10# test braid for sure. Just that I prefer going ultra light for ultra light fish. If stumps are a problem, that's understandable. But we're using fairly inexpensive jigs here with quality plastics and even if we lost a few, it would be insignificant considering the results.

Check out our latest post in the New England Forum.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    I'm using 2# Test Fireline. It's about .5 lb. test diameter. I've taken some pretty large fish on these rigs. Using the Alberto knot for the leader joint works quite well. It's amazing how strong and sensitive this line is. No problem using 10# test braid for sure. Just that I prefer going ultra light for ultra light fish. If stumps are a problem, that's understandable. But we're using fairly inexpensive jigs here with quality plastics and even if we lost a few, it would be insignificant considering the results.

Check out our latest post in the New England Forum.
    I understand. I would much prefer to use the light stuff, i use a lot of 2-4lb line and really enjoy it! Im just pretty confident ill be retying every time i tick a tree with that stuff. I make my own jigs, and plastics arent expensive.. its really just about minimizing the time spent tying new rigs. Gets annoying after a while! With 8-10 line i can get most jigs back, with 4 i seem to lose jigs on 8/10 snags. But we all know how terrible it is trying to troll 1/32 jigs with thick line, so i usually just use 4lb line and if i break off then i break off. Theres no turning back when you have 6 rods out and hit the tree, just give it a tug and hope you get it back.

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing wrong with using braid, like you purposed!