Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MYTHS.....do crappie feed down

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MYTHS.....do crappie feed down

I just laugh when I read articles about this. I catch 90 percent of my fish at night dragging the bottom. Please do not be scared to cast out let your line go slack. Then slow retrieve across bottom. Trusts me. Bro, youse can thank me later. And this brings up thermocline water temp 87 degrees right now. I'm catching crappie on bottom forty foot deep. I don't know enough about the thermocline to discuss. But this fish just came off bottom in forty fow

Name:  IMG_4829.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  68.3 KB
    Likes S10CHEVY, Redge, RogerA, USMA65 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, for sure! thanks.
    Likes BAMA S LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno about that deep but I have had times in the spring during spawn when I had to bounce jigs off the bottom like a bass jig and they would hammer it!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes trypman1, BAMA S LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappie "will" feed down ... I've seen them do it in my home aquarium (practically standing on their heads to trap minnows against the bottom of the aquarium). But, it's not under "normal" circumstances for them to have to feed "down", they just do so when it's "required" for them to feed on certain things. They will feed on emerging critters (aquatic larvae) and crustaceans ... all bottom dwelling critters.

When they're "hugging bottom" (& you catch one with mud on its belly) .... they aren't actually feeding "below" themselves, but your bait is still within their sight range and/or sensory range and they will turn or roll or dip their heads down to grab what they sense as a meal.

Those of us that propose that Crappie don't "go down" after a bait are generally referring to a bait that's running well below them and may be ignored. With the placement of their eyes, it's far easier for them to see a bait that's in front and above them ... which is why one normally sees them, on their electronics, below and to the side of a school of baitfish.
    Likes stormcloud, BAMA S, svh, DRFISHDUCK, blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I recently saw a Livescope video where a crappie did indeed move down to consume a jig. The fisherman said that video should be proof that they do feed down.

Post Thanks / Like

I too watch them in my aquarium and they feed any way they can. Up, down, sideways. Anyway and every way they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes BAMA S, DRFISHDUCK, blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

While fishn with Ketchn pitching docks we see it there too.... Hopping or dragging our jig back a lot of times when you go to move it it's several times heavier..... He and I have had some good laughs about a lot of the myths that revolve around crappie.......

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    they feed any way they can. Up, down, sideways. Anyway and every way they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    So do I. Especially after a couple beers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Redge, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I watched crappie today go down for bait on livescope. Watched them sink, hit jig then come up to visit me!!!!!
    Chris Gill
    President/Founder of Lone Star Warriors Outdoors
    Hunting and Fishing to combat Veteran Suicide and Help heal from PTSD
    Lone Star Warriors Outdoors, Helping to heal Warriors with Outdoor Adventures!
    Tyler Texas
    http://www.lonestarwarriorsoutdoors.com or find us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/LoneStarWarriorsOutdoors/
    Asleep At The Wheel TV https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpY...T7MkD-jsDrbMkw
    Likes BAMA S, silverside LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My brother and I fish a lake that most of the time all we do is drift. We use electronics to find the depth that the fish are at and we bounce jigs off the bottom. We do very well using that method at that particular lake. It doesn't always work at the other lakes we fish.

Sent from my LML212VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast