Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta LOVE it

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gotta LOVE it

To put the time in searching and changing jigs, techniques and depths to end up with a full box of fish.....
    So you want the know how? It's in the vids so check them out and subscribe so you won't miss out on any upcoming info.....

Name:  20190726_095207.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  58.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments.....LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you know I already subscribe, etc. I was just jealous because I cannot catch a single crappie without a 2 hour drive. This huge lake near me (Sidney Lanier) has crappie, but dang if I can find any, and I have tried multiple times. I sat on a pile or two watching on the livescope as every crappie sniffed every single jig I had in the boat and swam away from it. I've shot a zillion docks with not a single thump - docks with plenty of fish under them. Fish on! Dang it - another spotted bass. Nibbles, slab sauce, cursing, and prayer all have failed, lol. So I go to the river and catch trout. They fight hard and eat good, too.

The county res where I caught all those fine crappie in spring is also proving hard to catch a crappie, though I did snag a few nice shellcrackers and a PB bass last week. It is electric-only, so I have to fish in the kayak which does not have the livescope. I think I will try long-line trolling around today and see if I can find 'em. They were never stocked in this res, just were in there when they dammed up the creek to fill it, but I know there are slabs in there.

I have been dissecting your videos to see what color combo jigs you are using, as I recently started tying my own jigs. The fish do like them, just haven't found a crappie to try them on yet. It is tough this time of year. Waiting on some black hackle to tie some gray jigs like you show in one video. What kind of gray chenille do you use on those?

I did also make some green LED underwater lights, they came out great, and plan to go sit under a bridge and see what I can do at night, when the yahoos are off the big lake and it is cooler.

It is fun, and relaxing, to go fishing, and I do enjoy the hunt. I'll keep after them.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked up Lanier and it looks to be a BIG lake.....

What area are you fishn?

Thanks for the support on the Tube, I really appreciate it.....

As far as colors go I separate them as high contrast, low contrast, natural, light and dark.....

Something else that helps me is paying attention to the water color, sometimes matching the water color is the ticket and other times going opposite.....

There's several different chenille's I've used over the years and different versions of that grey jig, I'm not sure which one you're referring too.....
    Likes jawjatek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

On Lanier I fish the creeks and river arms, very seldom the main lake, on the west side. Six Mile, Four Mile, Bald Ridge, Young Deer, Duckett Mill, Taylor Creek, Thompson Creek, and the Chestatee river. Sometimes I go over the Gainesville side to Sardis, Thompson Bridge, or Wahoo Creek. The lake is unfishable on the weekends during summer due to all the boat traffic, reckless rec boaters and jet skis, etc. There have been 12 fatalities on the lake already this year. This time of year I mostly fish the county res I mentioned, and the Chattahoochee river below Lanier, which is very cold and full of stocked trout. I catch fish every time I go to Lanier, just not crappie.

Lakes Oconee, Blackshear, Clarks Hill, and West Point are more well known as good crappie fisheries, or just over the Alabama side on Lake Weiss, or Eufala. All long drives for me.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

I did find some real thick canebreaks on the country roads around where I live (Cumming), and plan to construct and sink a bunch of crappie "trees" using the bamboo this fall. I plan to sink them at 3AM to avoid folks jumping my claims.

Like you, I also love to deer hunt, so around end of Sept I am in the woods until Dec., except for a quick fishing trip now and again. Blackshear is an hour south of where I hunt, so I may drag the boat with and start fishing that place on the hot days when there is no deer movement.

Post Thanks / Like

You're covering a lot of water, I always suggest that one pick one area and learn it before moving on..... Most of these lakes the crappie will be all over the lake some concentrated on areas more so than others.....
    Getting close to bow season and I'm for sure hunting this season, work has gotta hit the back burner.....
    That bamboo is some good structure and will draw bait and in turn crappie....
    Likes jawjatek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the hijack. I do look forward to watching your videos! If you could show the cam, or describe what jig you are using, that would be my only suggestion. Unless classified...

I get that about covering too much water, but I was just checking out all the boat ramps (there's over 30 of them), and getting experience backing the trailer, launching, etc. I've lived by this lake for over 20 years and never fished it until this year - too busy with career and kids. Also just got my first boat in Jan. I made my stash, retired early, and am making up for lost time.

I've been focusing on the Chestatee arm, from Thompson Creek south to Duckett Mill, and marking waypoints on brushpiles. A a guy I know (whom does catch crappie) tipped me. He moved to Oconee, lol, and gave me a few waypoints.

Went to the small res today. Spent some time side-scanning for piles and also bream beds. Found some - but nobody home. Ended up fooling around with the schooling bass, which were blowing up on small shad all around, and lurking at 15 feet when they weren't on top. Bait balls were a-plenty at 12-13 feet. This is in main creek channel at 30-40 feet bottom depth. Gave my new JDM light rod a workout, man let me tell you. Those 1-3 lb schoolers were hungry and a lot of fun to catch.

Post Thanks / Like

The jigs are not classified but I don't like showing the jig that I'm using since most will lock onto it like it's some kind of magic color...... False hope....
    I always recommend finding the color the fish want that day that hour.....
    I usually change several jigs per trip just to try'n improve the bite and bigger fish.....
    Sound like you're catching up just fine and retiring early is a dream of mine that I'm try'n to make true..... Congrats to you and from the sound of it I know you're enjoying yourself.....
    The bream are done in my lakes but i've been catchn a few deep.....
    I love scanning almost as much as fishn.....
    Those bass when on a feeding frenzy are fun......
    I had a surprise guest that weighed over 7lbs this w-end that ate a little 1/16 #6 hand tie ..... Crazy how small a bait a big fish will hit..... He'll be in a vid in a couple weeks.....
    Likes SuperDave336, jawjatek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I do like your videos with the jigs rotating in the background. I’ve got to where I love seeing tied jigs. It’s an art that I’m growing to love more each day. Can’t wait to see the bass video. I had a 2+ lb bass I caught this last weekend on a gray jig. One good fight I must say on UL. Even pulled the kayak around some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast