Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Livewell Water temp

bobberdown is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Livewell Water temp

I have had trouble in the past with keeping Crappie alive in the live well on the hot day's in summer, especially on the 2 hour road trips home from some of the lakes. I fixed the problem last summer with a little pluming and some ice.
    I plumed a recirculating line through my built in cooler compartment next to the live well. I placed about 12 10" coals of copper tubing in the compartment and plumed it to the circulation pump on the live well. This circulates the water through the Ice and back to the live well. I also carry a bottle of hydrogen peroxide H3O and pour about 1/2 bottle of it into the water after shutting off the lake water circulation.
    This has lowered the water temp about 15 degrees and I have no problem loosing fish. Has anyone else tried this?

Post Thanks / Like

I usually put a portable 12 volt aerator in my livewell and hook it tp the TM battery and let it run all the way home. Stop every 45 minutes and throw in a handfull of ice.

Post Thanks / Like

hyd. per. work on minnows too??????
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Once the water temp hits 75 to 80 degrees I start putting my catch in an ice chest with 2 frozen 2 litre bottles of ice. My livewell is not insulated and they die pretty quickly once the water gets real warm.
    And this way I can even wait unrill the afternoon to clean fish or even the next morning.
    CATCH A BIG-UN