Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Getting hot - fishwise - too bad my partner couldn't stand the heat

Post Thanks / Like

Post Getting hot - fishwise - too bad my partner couldn't stand the heat

I'm not crazy fishing in a 100 degree heat index but I lived in Texas for over four years and dealt with it in the hottest part of summer. A bit older now, but if you wear the right clothes and drink cool fluids you can still catch fish from morning until afternoon. The bite was good though scattered and the strikes HARD from crappie averaging over 10.5" to decent sunfish, yellow perch and a 2.75 lb bass. Some kayakers we compared notes with also caught a good quantity until they left.

Surface water temp. got to be 85 degrees and we hit fish in 6-7' in many areas - 51 fish to be exact before leaving at 11 am. Heat index was getting near 95 degrees, presently over 100 with little or no wind.

Crappie Magnets in bright colors did well rigged on 1/16 jigs:

I also caught the four species on my clear-stubby-tail grubs catching fish near surface and down 5' from it.

Doubt I'll go tomorrow considering the traffic on this local lake today. A heat index of 100 + is a bit harsh even for me (though I can only sit in my basement making lures for only so long regardless the weather...)
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch.

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

You haven't been in Texas nearly long enough to be commenting about our perfect weather. We are pretty sensitive about that.

Post Thanks / Like

It sure is fun getting out figuring these fish out in adverse conditions...... Look like you did a excellent job of it..... Nice catches....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dead minner View Post
    You haven't been in Texas nearly long enough to be commenting about our perfect weather. We are pretty sensitive about that.
    LOL

One thing I didn't miss were the water moccasins ! I worked off base in two different locations at different times and those cowboys were the best employers I ever worked for!
    Too bad neither knew what Italian bread tasted like nor anyone else in Wichita Falls for that matter !