Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spooning ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spooning ?

I never tried a spoon for crappie before until last week . I hear tell they are very popular up north under the ice and to be sure I just had to see if I could ketch a crappie or 3 on one .
    Now I want to say this about that , I am not a fan of lures that create their own movement most of the time . I prefer making it dance to my music other than its own gig .
    Knowing I fooled a fish with my hand and moves and not a random vibration or undulation created by the design of a lure makes me feel much more in tune with fish .
    That all said it was a different thing for sure and I had to get myself tuned up to make it perform so a fish would take it.
    Since they flutter and twist about and wont hang perpendicular to the line with out movement left or right and or up and down I had to use it a bit differently than I wanted to .
    So here we go I tied on a 1/32 chart spoon with single fixed hook in it and tried to make em bite it . my first time I didn't get bit until it was about to be brought up to see if I was doing it right in another location in the water . I was slowly dragging it to the surface and something that had a toothy feel grabbed it . now mind you there are no gar in that lake and I imagine it was a bass or catfish but since I was ketched totally off guard I never even got to set the hook and have no idea what it was that bit it .
    So I moved to deeper water and pitched it to the side and waited and waited and waited and waited for it to come back to me . The fall rate was ridiculous slow and sure enough it got bit before it got straight down .
    Anyway that's my story on my spooning for crappie episode and yes I managed to ketch a few but in the end the twisting up my line thing and new to me presentation and fact I knew I could ketch more with another bait led me to the ok been there done that whats next scenario .
    I know I know I should have had a small swivel on it ,but it aint my thing to use fast snaps or swivels or even split shot ,so there you go .
    KABOOM is the word
    p.s. I also noticed that none of the fish took it really deep like they do a jig in that spot quite frequently for some reason ?
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes svh, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use spoons all the time, they work fine, but you do need a good ball bearing swivel.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe tipped it with a Wax worm or maggot or even a strip of hot dog? If it ever iced up down there at least you have some good practice time in on the spoon Spooning ?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use them all the time. A premium ball bearing swivel is paramount. Place it about 4 inches above the spoon with a short dropper line. Lift and let it flutter down. Line watching is a must. During ice season I tip it with a minnow head. Slays just about anything that swims. Just little twitches is all that's needed. Deadly on gills with maggots. While ice fishing I just tap the pole with my index finger to impart the action when they are biting slow. Other times they want it moved a foot.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Try a similar size gold Kastmaster spoon. I replace the treble with a single #6 Siwash hook and it makes a fine combination. Thread a small section from the tail of a BG's Baby Shad straight tailed plastic. That's all you need. Cast out and let it dance on down to a specific count (vary the count according to where they are hanging out). Then use the rod to move it forward and up; then let her sink again. It has fantastic fluttering action on the fall. Most panfish can't resist it.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

BTW.....I do put a quality crane-type swivel (Owner makes a good one) about 18" up from the spoon.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes fiveeyes LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use spoons alot ,especially in ice season. I mostly use a Hali spoon in winter. It has a single hook on a chain. Put a wax worm,maggot or minnow head on the hook and jig it vertical in the drilled hole. It has great action and it drives the fish crazy. You never know what is going to grab it.

Sent from my LML212VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is not what I thought it was gonna be about.

Post Thanks / Like

you know I thought some might think something like that and to be sure them crappie just "kissed" that there spoon , none of them gave it the ole gusto thump …..I prolly should have titled it "come on everyone, lets do the twist"
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales