HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do longnose gar eat crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do longnose gar eat crappie?

Do longnose gar eat crappie or are crappies too "deep bodied" for their gape?

Post Thanks / Like

I got a crappie a week ago that had the right side of its mouth and snout recently seared off. Whether it was a heron or a gar, I do not know. A fellow fisherman said gar, and that he had seen them attack crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by USMA65 View Post
    I got a crappie a week ago that had the right side of its mouth and snout recently seared off. Whether it was a heron or a gar, I do not know. A fellow fisherman said gar, and that he had seen them attack crappie.
    No. Probably not. Gar, especially long nose primarily ear minnows and young of the year carp according to a book i am reading. The carp btw is part of the minnow family.

Sent from my SM-J337R7 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine if its a small crappie and it gets in front to a good size longnose when its hungry the answer is yes .
    as far as a longnose eating a crappie much over 7 or 8 inches I would think that's a stretch for multiple reasons .
    one a crappie is most likely faster and two at that age more likely to be elusive and three a bit to much to consume .
    of course it might be something I really don't have a clue on, but I have seen gar quite often and never seen one in a mode to eat crappie .
    longnose seem to show up near abundant bait schools and that in turn makes me think its mostly a surface/sub surface feeder .
    I have had one hit a large float a year or so ago though ,but I imagine it thought it was chomping a large shad .
    my 2 cents
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I've always found with fish in general, the larger ones eat the smaller ones, quite regularly too. I've had bass try grab a crappie off my line before landing it. I see no logical reason to believe that a gar, given the opportunity, would not take advantage of a crappie lunch.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

From the Kaw spillway I seen huge gar with big shad in their jaws.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Yup....in my home lake gar are the only toothy critters in there. Catch several smaller crappie every trip with fresh gashes on them. Assuming they are the lucky ones that got away.

P

Post Thanks / Like

Yes gar will eat crappie when given the chance.
    I think most places shad is the main food source.
    They catch fish like shad, blue gill and crappie by rotating their head and body, much like an alligator sometimes does to pick up food.
    I’ve witnessed gar swim through a school of blue gills and catch them. You see the white belly flash when he strikes. They sometimes do a full 360. It happens fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes USMA65 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It was mentioned Crappie might be too big ---- Not the case -- We just caught an 18 Pound Catfish on a noodle last week that had been hit by an Alligator Gar a couple of times -- the tooth pattern was about 6 inches across its mid section ,, then cut scars all way down its sides from those dreaded fins to the tail -- and one hunk ripped out of the belly ,, any fish that looks injured is A food target ..

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a small lake occasionally that is a river overflow. Full of gar I'm told, I often see bow fishers after them. I've never caught one though and not sure that I want to. But if I did what would be the technique?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast