HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Slab Sauce works

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slab Sauce works

I went out locally yesterday, I have the James river, Lake Springfield, the Tailrace for Lake Springfield, as well as Fellows Lake and a few other sots. The james and Lake Springfield was the color of chocolate milk, but the tailrace was clear, although moving pretty quick. All the rain has everything a mess. Anyway I trew in a shinny Hiney coppy I had made with a dribble of Slab Sauce. As usual I threwUp where the water was flowing over the dam and let it drift down. First cast Nothing. Now I'm up on the steps about a good thirty feet above the water. As my jig and float cleared the water, A great big Gar serfaced right where my jig had came out.
    Thinking that was a coincidence, I cast back out again only a bit closer. Once again a gar surfaced right where my jig came came out. The jig was set at three feet down below the slip float. The third cast I just dropped It out about 5 ft from that wall just to see. And sure enough that gar, There were several cruising around, Hit my jig and a short battle happened before his teeth took care of my 6lb test line.
    Now I have fished here several times and know that when there are gare up by the dam where I was fishing, pack it up and go home, cause the crappie are hidding and not comming out to play. Well next time I guess. Hopefully no gar fish...
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

Post Thanks / Like

I have never caught a gar. Not sure I even care to....lol.

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gar can definitely mess up the fishing. I have caught many gar from the Wabash river. They are a real nuisance. No hook...just a short piece of poly rope. They attack it and get their teeth caught in the strands and won't let go.

Post Thanks / Like

If ya in fishing for a fight..Thy Fight...

Post Thanks / Like

I was trying for Crappie, I know they are there,Name:  20190622_104314.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  41.5 KB, as the picture will show. But everytime I have seen Gar there, the fishing shuts down. And this is the first time I had seen multiple gar here. I have caught large mouth, and Kentucky bass, war mouth, green sun fish, catfish and crappie from this same spot in the past. Know they are still there. Just shut down when mr toothy shows up...
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.

Post Thanks / Like

I was watching the Lake side while fishing below the dam, and think I'll be fishing there, keeping a respectable distance from the dam of coarse. there is a rock bluff on the other side that looks promising too...need to get my kayak finished up soon. still need to shorten those outriggers and glue it all up. first have to change both bathroom faucets, fix two water weakened floor spots in living room, reseal the roof, and run electric wire for garbage disposal, which requires me to take out the dishwasher, then put it back in...Then the real work begins...but a man must have rest periods too...that's where the fishing comes in...A morning here, and an evening there...
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I think scent can work but crappies are sight feeders primarily. i have fished plastics w/ and w/o scent and ton of hand tied stuff with no scent. it is tough to say which works better than the other atm. perhaps in the colder season when they are lethargic, but right now when it's warm, they chase anything!

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, It helps me catch more fish, and those gar was following exactly where my jig had went, right to the point it left the water. Like they were following the scent...so yes I think it does work...
    Likes Slab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is, it can't hurt. And it may very well better entice the bite, over a bait without it. After all, fish can smell, and the smell of an attractant on a bait is certainly better than an unnatural human scent (whether it be bug spray, or fuel, or sun lotion...). You also need to realize that Slabsauce is infused with natural prey smells. Shh, don't tell anyone, cause it's a secret, says so right there on the label! lol
    Last edited by Slab; 07-12-2019 at 06:19 PM. Reason: sp
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Thanks Redge thanked you for this post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

To each his own, but it turned up the catch rate for me today. No one is going to retire off of my purchases, but I always have some nearby. If it ever cools down I might even start chasing crappie in the cover again.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around