Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Many here pull cranks but who is just casting them as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Many here pull cranks but who is just casting them as well?

does it mean it appeals to deeper water fish primarily or can one fish from shore and get bit there casting them? don't see many talking about it so just curious.

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I cast as well as single pole troll cranks. I prefer Norman's, Bandits, & Storm. I mainly do it on smaller waters of 20 or less acres.
    Find some shore with a point or drop off/ledge and you certainly catch some.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

My first two crappie were years ago caught on a lead head with auger tail jig I was casting for bass. No clue about them. Learned from a guy last fall to catch them with 1/16 th oz jigs. The head on the first two were 1/4oz. This year I have pretty much stuck to 1/16th jigs, mostly because I can catch them that way. But saw some small plugs and decided to try them. Have tried them but a few cast's and haven't had them work yet. Need to get serious about them though or just remove them from my box! They take up space! Something I did try that worked well was a very small single spin with a small auger tail on it. But I do lke plugs, just never caught much on them.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to nail some nice crappie single poling, even from shore, try the #5 SINKING Rapala (I like the gold one). Cast it out and count it down. Then pull with the rod / pause / pull again. You'll get bit.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have. Depth control of where the fish are is the key. Today a squarebill may be the hot ticket, but tomorrow it might be a bandit 200 series depth. Color also plays a good part, but a few colors of each depth should cover it. Never give it completely slack line as a lot of hits come on the stall. I once decided to work a shoreline with a mid depth chartreuse backed crank, medium size. My target species was LMB and I probably would have caught some if the crappiewould have left it alone. Caught 14 in about 250 yards. Had the Tm on as slow as it would go and never turned it off. Maybe 30 to 40 minutes. Go outside the box and be patient, you’ll do much better than you would think. Surprise fish are just the icing on the cake.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

number 6 Husky Jerk, has worked well for me

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught way more fish on crankbaits this year than jigs, but I've also fished cranks a lot more. I agree with what skeetbum said above, that having different running depth cranks is key. Most lakes I fish are less than 20 ft, so its usually not hard to get a bait down to the fish. Most any brand will work. I've got Bandits, Arkies, and some cheap B & M lures that Wal-Mart sells for less than $2 that has really produced for me. Brush piles near creek channels are great places to fish cranks this time of year.
    Joshua 24:15