Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What are you watching for before you set the HOOK??

Post Thanks / Like

Default What are you watching for before you set the HOOK??

Observed this question on another forum and it produced some excellent responses. Respond with your input and everyone might learn something that they had not observed or tried before. People new to jig fishing should be able to learn something possibly.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the thump. I can feel it weather I am tight lining or casting jigs. If I have a minnow under a cork, sometimes it is hard to say. It might go under and nothing will be there when you set the hook, it might just start laying on it's side, but most of the time it just looks funny.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Jigs.
    Line watching while jig fishing for crappie is probably the most important thing a crappie fishermen can do, short of setting the hook. My experience is that 75% or more of my jig hits "Show Up" before I feel them. Things to watch for are: when letting the jig fall to the bottom in less than 12 feet of water and it pauses or stops short ...SET the hook cause a crappie has bit on the jig while sinking. When shooting docks watch for the line to "JUMP". The line will move UP when picked up by a crappie...set the hook immediately - a crappie has inhaled the jig on the sink. Often when vertically fishing a brushpile or a condo and the jig is picked up to move to a different location in the brush/condo, and the jig does not sink back to the known depth, watch for slack in your line...set the hook. A crappie has inhaled the jig.

A crappie seems to bite in different ways depending on the sensitivity of the crappie fishermen. We live for the "THUMP". The thump is often pronounced feeling like someone thumped you with their finger. Often the crappie bite is a feeling or sensation of "Nothing". The jig telegraphs what is happening with the line; when the sensation goes out of the feeling of the line a crappie has inhaled the jig. A good high quaility fishing line with my preference-high visibility, will enhance your catching abilities.

A few of my thoughts, there are no doubt many more from other crappie fishermen.

Good Fishing,
    Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

When 'ive tight lined I wait for the tap-tap-tap feel and then set it. Can't really decsribe it other than that you'll know when to set it.

When bobber fishing, if the water is calm I look for either the bobber running, or going down. I don't usually wait for the bobber to go totally under since most the time they end up swallowing it that way.
    When the water is rough or chopper about the only thing I wait for is running or it to go completely down.