HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crank Pulling Rod Question Please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crank Pulling Rod Question Please

I've got a couple 12' BnM Capps & Coleman rods. Will they hold up to pulling 200 & 300 series Bandits and Pico cranks? They would sure fit nicely in my spread of light action 8'6" & 7' Ugly Stiks downrigger rods. I've got linecounter reels loaded with PP 30/8 and run a swivel to 5' 10# flouro leader & duo snap. The Uglies are my walleye trolling set-ups. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mchech View Post
    I've got a couple 12' BnM Capps & Coleman rods. Will they hold up to pulling 200 & 300 series Bandits and Pico cranks? They would sure fit nicely in my spread of light action 8'6" & 7' Ugly Stiks downrigger rods. I've got linecounter reels loaded with PP 30/8 and run a swivel to 5' 10# flouro leader & duo snap. The Uglies are my walleye trolling set-ups. Thank you
    i've had a set of c&c's and i would say they are a bit limber for trolling crankbaits. not gonna say they wont get the job done but i like a little bit stiffer rod for pulling cranks.
    Thanks mchech thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 12' BnM pro staffs. They work perfect and will handle a 6-8 pound channel cat no problem.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two 14' C/C rods and use them to Push jigs w/1oz trolling weights & cranks w/2oz trolling weights and they do fine. Is that what they were intended to be used for ... not really. They're more "suited" for Spider Rigging, but so far they've handled Pushing just fine IMHO.

If you're going to be "Pulling" cranks with those 12' C/C rods (no added weight) .... then I think you'll do fine with them.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My opinion is they are way to lumber for that. Go to grizzly jig and find you a pair of graphite composite rods that are fairly cheap. They will bow over pretty good because they have what’s called a parabolic bend meaning from tip to butt they will arch. But when a fish hits it will give and not snatch hook out of their mouth. No real need for 50/60 dollar rods for pulling cranks.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The Capps and Coleman rods are way too limber to pull cranks with and sure too limber to push with heavy weights. They are a good rod for spider rigging though.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I pulled cranks with BGJP’s in 8,10, and 12’. The new 8’ are more limber than the older ones, which were perfect. I caught lots of big whites and several 10lb cats. You just can’t get in a hurry landing them. Too stiff and you have them pull free. Run what you brung until you find what’s best for your way of doing things. BGJP’s wouldn’t handlemore than an ounce for pushing, kinda defeating the purpose.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks for your replies. I hate dragging any cranks around the lake with a 100% graphite rod. I have hooked quite a few crappie on my Ugly Stiks while fishing for walleye. With the Power Pro's lack of stretch the downrigger rods do give a lot yet I still loose about 1 out of 3 crappie. Just going to have to set the drags super light to keep from tearing out the hooks. I think I'll leave the C&C rods for the purpose they were intended and keep a look out for some cheap composite 12'ers for dragging cranks.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep a eye out in the C.C personal classifieds....from time to time there are some BnM PST's offered for sale.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep