HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some wisdom..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for some wisdom..

Name:  DCC83944-2AE0-41BB-97BE-7222B2334672.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  153.6 KB

Here’s our family boat that we just recently inherited, very blessed to have it. Needs some love but it runs great. I’ll post some of my electrical project questions in the mechanics page but wanted to ask about trolling motors...I know they don’t catch the fish but I also know they’re a huge plus to have. I wanted to get yalls opinion on how vital you think they are and what you’d put on this boat if it were yours? It’s a Tracker Grizzly 1860. I have an 80lb minn kota, 24v but we used it bowfishing when this boat had a raised deck on it and I just think that 80lb was a bit much...

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes S10CHEVY, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A 55 would be marginal in some cases, and if you run a single battery, capacity is less than stellar.

It's a lot better to have too much that not enough. A 24V motor will have way more capacity, and power when it's needed. With a digital motor, you can use only as much thrust as you need.
    Likes Clint, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the same until wind came up. No issue at all with my 80 pound Ulterra.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an 1860. Stay with the 80. I took a 55 off of it and replaced it with the 80.
    Tell'em I'll be there.
    Likes SpeckledSlab, txsuddeth LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what all you plan on doing with this boat, if your going to slow troll or spider rig a smaller tm would do great, but if you plan on pulling cranks or something of that sort the 80lb would be the better choice. I have a 55lb 12v terrova on my tracker 175 and it is amazing until i pull cranks and i have to run the tm on high to maintain a good pulling speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely 80. I have an 80 terrova on my 17' tracker and never once wish I had less power

Sent from my SM-A105G using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes SpeckledSlab, need2befishin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 80# Terrova on my old 16' tracker, I get to fish more windy conditions than I thought I ever would. Love the Spot Lock too, Bigger is Better in this situation.
    What time is it? IT'S CRAPPIE TIME!
    Likes SpeckledSlab, need2befishin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I currently have the 80 in the shed with the 2 batteries already wired up for the 24 volt, sounds like I just need to keep rolling with that! For charging those 2 batteries, do I put the charge on one negative and the positive on the other battery? Or one at a time? I apologize for the questions, I’ll figure it out on of these day! I do appreciate all the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I would say depends on the charger. If it's a single battery 12 volt it will be one then the other. If it's a 24 volt battery charger then as you said. They do make multi-bank chargers for boats, (also called on board chargers), that mount on the boat that charges all of them at once as 12 volt batteries and maintains them charged without over charging them. Just plug it in after a fishing trip and its always ready for your next trip...
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph
    Likes txsuddeth LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

On board automatic charger with one bank for every battery. Best money you will ever spend. Brings em up to where they belong and goes into maintenance mode. Longer battery life if you plug em in every time you get back and don’t leave them in a depleted state. Also, no such thing as too much trolling motor. I have a 70lb and upgraded from a 50. I’m still trolling when most others are at the ramp.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes txsuddeth LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast