Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hooking your minnows...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hooking your minnows...

I am not new to this crappie fishing thing, but I am not a pro, either. However, I don't use minnows. I am a jig/crappie niblet & a slow retrieve man, and it has worked very well for us the past 6 years I have gone. However, I want to be as knowledgeable in the subject matter as I can. I watched a man come in and fish a spot that my dad and I fished and fished with a jig and niblet for about 1/2 hour. He boated by us, said "hi, and ended up catching 3 fish off the spot we just left...ON MINNOWS!
    I swear...if you asked 30 different people how to hook a minnow, you would get 31 different answers.

WHAT ARE YOUR DIFFERENT SUGGESTIONS?

Post Thanks / Like

Bottom of mouth through top of head,use lite narrow hook.Just a little past his mouth.2 cents worth
    CATCH FILLET

Post Thanks / Like

Through the eyes, just make sure to keep it shallow going from one side tot eh other. The minnow will live longer and stay on better than through his lips and or through his back under the dorsal fin. I think that I have tried them all and like through the lips from bottom to top, but they come off too much where through his eyes he will not come off and he will live longer.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

If you tail hook them, side to side, they stay active a long time. This works really well if you are fishing under a bobber and not moving around.

Post Thanks / Like

I have recently tried through just above the tail. The fish was still able to swim and I have caugt 3 fish off the same minnow. I also use the above two methods which also work great.

Post Thanks / Like

Through the eyes or through the bottom of the jaw and up.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Tail for still fishing/ lips for drifting.

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

I Used in the lip's but my son uses eye hook, he was 8 fish to my 1, using my poles, my rigs,I switched to eye hooking and we were close to even the rest of the week!
    Rowdy:o
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

If you're tipping a jig, there's a "sweet spot" that you need to get good at hitting through the upper lip once you come through the lower lip. I consider that "sweet spot" critical because of two things.......how long they live, and how good they stay on. But, slow trolling on Grenada, we use big stuff anyway (1/0 hooks, medium minnows),and I've found that through the eyes keeps them on the hook better, as well as alive just as long (only if you find that "sweet spot" around the eye sockets as well).

Like Roger Gant says............If ya hookem' through the eyes, at least they can't see what's fixin' to happen to em'!!!!!!!
    Last edited by luvjign; 04-20-2007 at 09:36 PM.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

I generally hook mine through the big tow, they seem to live longer...:D

I've heard so many different way's, I like to hook mine through the eyes too...
    greenwoodpittbulls.com
    greenwood360.com

Taking pictures keeps me insane!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast