Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: am i nuts? (b nice now lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Default am i nuts? (b nice now lol)

how many of you have ever noticed fish hanging under your boat in the shade? during summer we fish off a pontoon at the lake cottage. several times it seemed the fish moved from the cover we were fishing to the shade under the boat. after an hour or so you can catch them next to the boat. its like they are drawn to the shade of the pontoon. which brings me to the nuts part. lol what if a guy took a tarpaulin say 20x20 and made it float with pvc I frame and swim noodles. do you think this could be a viable way to attract fish? maybe even attach a sponge with some fish attractant, or chum bag, tied to the anchor rope. obviously it would be a bright hot mid day tool. I know it would get looks, but could it work?

remember be nice
    Likes S10CHEVY, Redge, hdhntr LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I shoot docks, I look for pontoon boats as well ... don't matter if they're moored inside the dock or outside of it ... I shoot the jig under the pontoon. Crappie love shade !!
    When I get to the lake early AM .... I cast to wood cover on banks that are shaded. Crappie love shade !!

Do I think your project will work .... .... but, if you anchor it so that it doesn't move from that spot, what would be the difference in it and the pontoon (or a dock) ?? So, yeah ... it probably would work.

But, I'll tell you what I WOULD do .... I'd put it out over some wood cover, while the shade is already over that cover, so that when the Sun starts getting high and the shade from the trees on the bank starts disappearing, your "floating mat" shade will still be covering the spot .... and maybe the fish will hang around it longer, instead of wandering off to the depths of open water.
    Likes redfin00, hdhntr, skunked again LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I notice it all the time with my livescope

Sent from my SM-A105G using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it would work. Might be worth a try . Let us know if it works.
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have a retirement plan...FISHING!

Post Thanks / Like

When A Teenager we pulled the boat inside a Duck Blind and Fished.. The fish were there year round

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    I notice it all the time with my livescope

Sent from my SM-A105G using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    X2! For sure happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in FL there a some lakes that have skijumps on them. They’re just about the size you speak of. More often than not we’ve been able to pull fish out from under them. From my dock shooting experience I can say that the darker the shade, the better. Big docks have had a concentration of bigger fish under the middle, as far from the sun as possible. If you can find a way to float it and not make it a navigation hazard, I think you may be onto something. Keep us posted.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

YEARS ago when I used minnas I would get close to structure and drop 6 rods over the side of the boat 7' sorta spider rig the minnas and caught plenty of fish especially on hot summer days.....
    I'll bet if you put that contraption out it'll draw fish....

Post Thanks / Like

here in Texas we tarp boat slips all the time and cut small square holes in the tarps to drop jigs thru .
    and for sure fish get under them in droves , darker shade is key
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

One could do that on the open slip next to my pontoon where I happened to drop a bunch of xmas trees this spring. Beauty idea, eh? since there is a pontoon on my left another on the right would give a big chunk of shade. heck I caught a 13 incher on the one drop I did with my pole yesterday in the shade between mine and the neighbors yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast