Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What jig weights do you always have on board? and in different hook sizes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What jig weights do you always have on board? and in different hook sizes?

I've found that matching hook size is as important and jig weight for the main purpose of allowing the best lure action possible. Of course small fish will avoid larger hooks and nip at a soft plastic tail, maybe avoiding a strike on a ball head that's too large, not in line with lure diameter. But my belief is when I match hook size to a lure and jig weight to the presentation I'm after, I get more strikes.
    For example, using a 1/8 oz jig and hook size larger than #6 for this lure would reduce its effectiveness:

The other thing is matching lure size to the general fish size in a water, meaning: larger fish strike larger lures because they can and because the trespass of their territory by a creepy, unknown object is unacceptable. For that reason, hook size should be adapted to lure size.In my book there's no excuse for not stocking the right jig weights and hook size every time I fish. My organization is such:

Of course if all you use is one lure size and design, most likely one jig is all you need. But in my book variety is the spice of fishing that includes what I fish for once I find what fish will strike in an area or on a particular day.

Just curious how many feel the same.

Post Thanks / Like

1/16 and 1/32 mainly. 1/32 for less than 20 fow, 1/16 for deeper. Weedless sickle hook jigs with soft plastics. Works for me.

I have some smaller 1/64 oz jigs as well, but I seldom use them.

Post Thanks / Like

Casting or side pulling for crappie being our main goal, we use mainly 1/16 oz. heads with #4 hooks, along with 1/8 oz. heads on #4 and #2 hooks. Caught some pretty big and pretty small fish on these combos. Depth & speed control being the most important factors to consider.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

1/16 oz and 1/32 oz are what I fish with 99.9% of the time. I have 1/8 oz and 1/4 oz on board though, just in case things get crazy.
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I'm generally not looking to catch anything other than keeper sized Crappie, and use 1.5" to 3" plastics, my jig arsenal is mostly 1/32oz & 1/16oz ballhead weedless jigheads w/#4 & #2 Aberdeen hooks (for most all casting purposes). My jig arsenal for most trolling purposes runs the range of 1/64oz to 1/4oz ballhead w/#6 to #2 Aberdeen hooks and may be plain jigheads or pre-tied jigs with various materials.

Post Thanks / Like

1/32 & 1/16 oz ball head (painted & unpainted) normally with plastic trailers but will use marabou sometimes. Prefer sickle hooks for vertical jigging and weedless hooks when casting. Only use 1/4 oz jigs when fishing more than 20' deep.
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have a retirement plan...FISHING!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I carry two sizes insert unpainted jig heads . 1/8 oz with #1 or #2 hook or 1/4 oz with #1/0 hook .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes Pondfisher42 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have 1/16,1/8, 3/16, and 1/4. 1/8 is used most of the time but if the wind kicks up i will go to a bigger head or if they are deep. I usually have the biggest hook i can get. I have some 1/8 oz jig heads with 2/0 sickle hooks and i love them.
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Using only 2# test line I use 1/2 gram jig heads up to 3 gram in half gram increments. Hook sizes #10.....#8.....#6......#4.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A pink 1/8 oz with #1 or #2 gold.

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast