Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Jig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lost Jig

For years I have used a basic clinch knot for tying my jigs, but moved to a slip knot about a year ago and really prefer it. However, twice in the past month, I have had a good fish on and then lost him as he broke the surface. I could literally see the fish swim off with the jig in his mouth. After inspecting my line, I could see that my slip knot was still intact, so I know that the line slipped through the small opening in the eye of the jig. What is the best way to combat this? Crimp the space closed, small drop of super glue, different jig head? Anyone else have this occur?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I solved this by going to custom made jigs by Pepop. He is in the Lake Palestine area. Also, if you buy from a well known jig or hook company like Gamakatsu you will not experience this. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes LedHed LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't use those jigs. Quick fix is clear fingernail polish or the super glue. I've seen Matzuo sickles with that problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Life View Post
    ...Anyone else have this occur?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Yes, it has happened to me a few times. I have crimped the eye on some jig heads to close the gap in the past. Now, I look for jig heads that do not have gaps.
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have a retirement plan...FISHING!
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What they said.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a tiny snap hook (Search Results for snap hooks) at the end of My line, tied on with the Trilene knot. Makes jig swapping a breeze and like a loop knot, gives the jig a more natural swimming motion in the water.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Retired2Fish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I have to admit, I've never seen those kind of snap hooks before. Pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Life View Post
    Thanks guys. I have to admit, I've never seen those kind of snap hooks before. Pretty cool.
    They are usually in the fly fishing section in a tackle store. They come in at least 3 sizes.

ClearCreek

Post Thanks / Like

I would not fish with such jigs, I mean jigs where the eye (tie ring) is not perfectly closed. I bought a bunch of EC rotating hooks, and had to take them back because all the eyes had a gap. I got some jigs on close-out at a well known retailer - same thing - had to throw them in the "never use" pile. Maybe one day I'll need to recover the lead from them.

One lake I like to fish, you are as likely to get bit by very large bass as often as the panfish I'm after. I hate to lose anything, so I use a Palomar knot. I never use the loop knot unless vertically jigging crappie off a brushpile or bridge column, or long-lining. The loop will break way before the line from tension.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have also lost some by the loop getting through the gap. Frustrating but not enough so that I’m going to pitch the lot of them. Some are matzuo I’m sure, I have a mixture of those and EC. I’ve heard about some very bad runs of them with very bad loss rates, and I would pitch those in a second.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast