Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Big crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big crappie

I look at photo's of fish caught in other states and have to know where to go for a chance at fish like them, a good chance. Here in Oregon the biggest one I've seen was a bit over nine inch's! I've heard they get to 14 to 15 inch's in Brownlee Res but have also seen catch's there most of which I'd throw back. First time I really tried for them was last year, guy from Bend took me to Prineville Res. We caught a fish on about every cast and a couple went close to 9"! I'm thinking maybe there's just to many in there for them to get bigger, not enough food? If I have a fairly steady diet of 12+ inch fish here it would be fine but it doesn't seem to exist. Thinking of a long trip by car with my boat to find some decent size fish. These little one's do have one thing going for them, they do eat good! I'd think a 2 or 3 pound crappie would be fun to catch!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    Here in Oregon the biggest one I've seen was a bit over nine inch's!
    Yeah, but you have trout, salmon and steelhead much bigger than that.

Post Thanks / Like

I seldom ever fish for trout, salmon and never steel head. Lived in Alaska a couple years and have eaten enough salmon to last a life time! Trout are ok but they aren't a bass, crappie or catfish by a long shot! Besides, these little crappie we get fight pretty good. Can imagine how a 2 pounder would go. I think if a blue gill was the size of a 2 pound bass it would need 50# line to get it in!
    Likes FlintMichguy LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

15 - 16 - and 17 inchers in Mississippi (Grenada Lake) (Sardis Lake) and Alabama (Guntersville Lake), (Lake Mitchell) and (Lay Lake)
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes Don Fischer LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

if they are all small there is likely way to many of them in the lake your hitting .
    if the numbers stay lower and predators keep them in check , they tend to grow larger .
    that said southern waters grow them big pretty fast .
    not sure though as some northern waters produce giants . most likely you are over run with them .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Don Fischer LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Probably are over run. I've heard of people going out and getting 300 a day! My first real time with them was last year and the guy that took me and myself were catching them on every cast.