HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New lure?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New lure?

Do you guys normally try new lure/plastic or stick with what work best? How many different plastic and color do you normally have?
    I came from bass fishing so I trend to want to try new lure/plastic all the time. I think I have more than 100 bags of plastic in different style shape and color for bass.
    For crappies so far I have tried maybe 10-15 different types. This evening I tried Charlie Brewer sliders Grub (paddle tail) which I really want to try for quite awhile. And I’m not sure if it was the right lure or right timing, I caught them good today. It was short period but I caught nice 10” 14” and 12” within first 5 casts. I used 1 gram jig head and slow steady retrieve right after lure hit water.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Bass View Post
    Do you guys normally try new lure/plastic or stick with what work best? How many different plastic and color do you normally have?
    I came from bass fishing so I trend to want to try new lure/plastic all the time. I think I have more than 100 bags of plastic in different style shape and color for bass.
    For crappies so far I have tried maybe 10-15 different types. This evening I tried Charlie Brewer sliders Grub (paddle tail) which I really want to try for quite awhile. And I’m not sure if it was the right lure or right timing, I caught them good today. It was short period but I caught nice 10” 14” and 12” within first 5 casts. I used 1 gram jig head and slow steady retrieve right after lure hit water.
    Beautiful catches!! Did you use your bait caster for crappie? I will have to look for these baits for sure...I may have to adjust the color accordingly to my waters I fish...but you’ve got some BEASTS!
    Awesome awesome catches! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes Just_Bass LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of us use a lighter head for the slow fall rate, but I think that would be much tougher to cast with a BC reel. That looks to be an eighth. My take on body styles has been refined over a few years. There are days and techniques that warrant a tail with movement, be it paddle or curl or whatever. But there are days when they won’t hardly touch them, but they will crush a straight tail like a baby shad or stinger style. Like most everyone here I have too many plastics. Best I can say is that you’ll try a lot of different styles and colors and see what works best for how and where you fish. Til then, figure out a way to organize all the junk as best you can. And then you’ll get into different sizes, like I did for ultra light and it begins again.....to a point. Have fun with it.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Thanks Just_Bass thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great catch & report! I use that color frequently and you'll have a tough time trying to find a better bait than the CB Slider grub. BTW....what the heck is a "1 gram" jig head???
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    BTW....what the heck is a "1 gram" jig head???
    Approximately 1/32 oz.

Post Thanks / Like

I used 1 gram jig head and slow steady retrieve right after lure hit water.
    Why the baitcaster?

Post Thanks / Like

Becuz I can cast 1/32oz jig head further than my current spinning setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Becuz I can cast 1/32oz jig head further than my current spinning setup.
    Either you have the best baitcasting reel in the solar system or the worst spinning reel.
    Likes Redge, gravelman6, svh, Just_Bass, ichabod LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Either you have the best baitcasting reel in the solar system or the worst spinning reel.
    One of his baitcast reels is a Shimano Aldebaran Mg7 with a Shimano Yumeya shallow spool add-on (but I think that's the silver one, not sure about the red one).

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I bought the wrong rod, I have shimano sensilite UL 6’6 which seem to be very stiff for UL, I use it for 1/16oz and with weighted bobber. Also casting is more comfortable for me both reeling and casting, but that not the point, though. I don’t think we should separate fisherman by his/her gears.
    BTW you are right at one thing, though, the Daiwa pixy airy red pair with shallow spool is one of the best in this solar system for light lure��
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes gravelman6 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast