HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A hero has passed - Blackhawk19

Post Thanks / Like

Default A hero has passed - Blackhawk19

David Smith, 71 of Troy died Tuesday June 4, 2019 at his residence.

Memorial services will be held 10am Thursday, June 6, 2019 at Sunset Funeral Home Chapel with Rev. Robert Lee officiating. Burial with military honors will follow in Sunset Memorial Park.

Mr. Smith was born June 12, 1947 in Ashbury Park, New Jersey. He was a veteran of the Vietnam War and served in the United States Army as a helicopter pilot. Following his military career, he worked in Mobile as district manager of Firestone Tire Store and later with Road Mart for several years prior to his retirement in 2003. Mr. Smith enjoyed the outdoors and fishing in local ponds in the Troy area.

From sunset memorial park’s website.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Last edited by Slab; 06-08-2019 at 06:21 AM.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes tnbirdhunter, blueball, Clipper, Ttexastom LIKED above post
    Thanks crp4570, TerryD, RogerA, shipahoy41, SpeckledSlab thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blackhawk19 - A hero has passed

Name:  blackhawk19a.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  50.5 KB
    " I graduated Flight School at 19 and this is a picture of me just after I turned 20. I thought I was 10" tall and bullet proof which I later proved to be wrong" - David Smith

Name:  blackhawk19.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  63.9 KB

"Everyone of those guys that flew the choppers in nam were brave heros. The had to fly recklessly and dangerous to get in and out flying into the middle of a fire fight to pick up the dead and wounded all the while under fire being shot at and their door gunner firing the 50 cal machine gun trying to keep enemy troops on the ground from getting to close....and get folks loaded up and get out. Blackhawk pulled it off even tho he got wounded doing so. He was very brave and was a angel to many getting them out of there."
    This is a quote I received about David via text from a very respected member here, and a vet. I'll let him chime in if he wants.

Here's a post which Blackhawk19 responded to back in Aug 2013:
    Quote Originally Posted by resevoirdog View Post
    You were a chopper pilot in NAM! My uncle was air cav in NAM he always talked about those crazy chopper pilots who would come and evacuate the wounded right in the middle of a firefight. My uncle was shot 13 times on Feb 3rd 1968. And he would have died if it wasn't for some psychotic chopper pilot who landed in thethe face of over 200 vc. Charlie turned that chopper into swiss cheese and my uncle said that crazy pilot was smiling like he just won the lottery. He told my uncle he would be ok and then he flew that hunk of scrap metal like there was no tomorrow. SO LET ME THANK-YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE SIR. HOOAH!!!
    Early Feb 68 was not a good time to be in Nam and I speak from experience, we were in the middle of the Tet Offensive. Yes I was one of those crazy pilots, I graduated flight school at 19 and I didn't turn 21 till June of 68 and came home in Oct of 68. Being crazy and always coming to get you is why we were called "Gods Lunatics" Not sure where your uncle served but I was stationed at Tay Ninh about 60 miles NW of Saigon right on the Cambodian border and supported mostly the 25th Inf in the Hobo Woods and Iron Triangle. Tell your uncle another Combat wounded Vet said "Welcome Home" - Blackhawk19
    Last edited by Slab; 06-08-2019 at 06:36 AM.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

He was one of the best of the best.....a true hero.
    Everyone of those guys that flew the choppers in nam were brave heros. The had to fly recklessly and dangerous to get in and out flying into the middle of a fire fight to pick up the dead and wounded all the while under fire being shot at and their door gunner firing the 50 cal machine gun trying to keep enemy troops on the ground from getting to close....and get folks loaded up and get out. Blackhawk pulled it off even tho he got wounded doing so. He was very brave and was a angel to many getting them out of there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Last edited by "G"; 06-08-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes DRFISHDUCK, tnbirdhunter, blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

man that makes me sad , he was a true gem from what I could tell on here and for sure a HERO to our great country
    Vietnam wasn't a helicopter friendly environment .
    my condolences to his friends and family
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes skeetbum, tnbirdhunter, blueball LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am deeply saddened to hear of his passing, but I rejoice in knowing that he loved the Lord and is in heaven now. He has run his race and we will all say "well done" my friend. Our prayers and condolences will be with the family as they go through the grieving process. I will miss his insight and his posts on this forum.

Mike

Name:  Eternal Life.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  83.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 06-08-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes kycreek, TerryD, 1187mg, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear this. RIP Brother.A hero has passed - Blackhawk19

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes" Unknown

Post Thanks / Like

RIP my friend and true American hero

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Such a hero he was! Saddens my heart to hear the loss of such a great guy! Prayers for family and friends

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers going out to the family.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast