HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about pulling crankbaits?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about pulling crankbaits?

Does anybody use any kind of swivel or anything to attach your crankbait to your line? I'm worried about the swivel making it run or swim differently than it would normally, but I also want to be able to change them out pretty quickly if I want to change colors or anything. If anybody could give me some information or insight on it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

One more that I forgot about, if I'm pushing cranks and have my weight at 10 feet deep, does my crankbait dive deeper than the weight? Or does it stay the same depth? I'm asking because in my simple mind, the crankbaits nature is to dive when it's pulled, so no matter that the weight is at 10 feet, it would still dive as deep as my leader would allow it to. Does anybody have any knowledge or opinions about that?

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I ALWAYS use a #1 or #2 duo-lock snap to attach the lure to the leader. Then a 5-7' leader to a small ball bearing swivel attached to the main line. You want some sort of swivel in there for two reasons, 1 it will catch weeds and scum before it makes it to your bait, and 2 it will keep your line from getting all twisted if your crank gets fouled and starts spinning.
    Likes Paris, trypman1, skeetbum, Redge LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Kevin22, I use a duo-lock snap at the crank and have swivels at the main line (pulling) or on the trolling weight/leader connection (Pushing). Swivels at the crank AND at the main line & leader connection can also be used. Swivels won't change the action of the crank anymore than a snap will.

And yes ... your crank will dive below the depth of your weight, usually a foot or so deeper (depending on bill length and leader length).
    Likes Paris LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I troll for crappie and walleye with the same rods always going forward. I just switch 5' to 6' fluorocarbon leader weights depending on my target species. Always a barrel or even a ball bearing swivel on the main line and duolock snap on the leader. If that crank fouls it will spin and before you realise you got a nightmare of a mess.

Post Thanks / Like

AFW Mighty-Mini™ Snap Swivel

Name:  zx.JPG
Views: 487
Size:  80.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Duo fas for me.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Duo fast for me too. No swivel.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

No swivel or snap for me. I can tie a palomar knot just about as quick as I can get a snap undone. When lines cross, then tangle, no hardware makes it easier for me. I just cut the line at the lure, then retie directly above the tangle. Waste line goes in the garbage can. But use whatever works the best for you.
    Likes Lonnie84 LIKED above post
    Thanks Redge thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I make a braid leader for mine... barrel swivel on one end and a fast snap on the other...

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast