HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need some clarification on slw fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default need some clarification on slw fishing

Ok, I'm not real new to crappie fishing, and not the dimmest light bulb in the pack either. How ever I would like to know what is meant by working a jig slow, or real slow UNDER a cork...Any clarification would help. Thanks in advance.
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure, but you have given me an idea. I don't use a float hardly ever, but lately the fish have been wanting it slower than I can go with a jig only casting, so now I will try the dreaded float. If the want it super slow use a small round float, that way no action is imparted to the jig by the stem. Good luck to us both.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I quit buying float some time ago, shortly after moving here . I found, on Pinterest, how to make a float from a wine cork and bamboo skewer. I called a couple of wineries around local and asked about their used corks from wine tastings and got a plastic Walmart bag FULL for the cost f fetching them home...Skewers are cheap in the BBQ section at wally world and depending on the size, you can make two or three sticks for the floats from each...Attachment can be as simple as a rubber band, or a U shaped wire fastened with thread and glue, ( for slip floats).
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesdean View Post
    ... I would like to know what is meant by working a jig slow ...
    3-5 seconds for one turn of the reel handle. You will need to take into account the retrieve ratio of the reel, also. Most reels today are geared for the bass crowd who want FAST FAST FAST reels.

I never fish a jig under a float. Floats and artificial baits don't mix, IMO.
    Thanks odtimr thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you deathb4disco, I do use floats sometimes if I am having difficulties keeping the bait in the zone long enough. I generally fish from the bank, but shortly will start getting my new to me kayak wet...lol. kinda over did it yesterday removing a tree that was ready to fall on the house. 4 full truck loads of branches and then a load of main branches and trunk. Spasms this morning render me useless...at least a weeks recovery because I wont stop moving even slow and painfully....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    3-5 seconds for one turn of the reel handle. You will need to take into account the retrieve ratio of the reel, also. Most reels today are geared for the bass crowd who want FAST FAST FAST reels.

I never fish a jig under a float. Floats and artificial baits don't mix, IMO.
    I don’t like a float with a long pole but casting with light tackle sometimes calls for a float.
    It really depends on the water body and time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLine View Post
    I don’t like a float with a long pole but casting with light tackle sometimes calls for a float.
    My typical jigs are 1/64 and 1/32 oz -- but no floats for me.

YMMV
    Thanks Jamesdean thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, thank you everyone, and I respect the fact you don't use floats and that you feel artificials and floats don't mix. How ever everything has a place and as I stated their are times when I mix the two. I did get an answer whether jigs are used or not, and for that I thank you...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesdean View Post
    Well, thank you everyone, and I respect the fact you don't use floats and that you feel artificials and floats don't mix. How ever everything has a place and as I stated their are times when I mix the two. I did get an answer whether jigs are used or not, and for that I thank you...
    BTW, the 3-5 second retrieve I mention above comes straight from the late, great Charlie Brewer. His book is one of the best you'll ever read on jig fishing:

Charlie Brewer Sr. on Slider Fishn'

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a jig under a float (bobber, cork) in the spring when the fish are shallow. My "slow" is to let the jig set for 5-10 seconds, then slowly lift the rod tip. I swim the jig back to me a couple of feet at a time with the pauses in between. When setting still the jig will actually be spinning slowly under the cork.
    The older I get the more I realize the therapeutic benefits of fishing
    Proud member of Michigan chapter "Team Overalls"
    Worlds proudest grandpa x6
    Likes Jamesdean, gjaime LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast