Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Am Frustrated. Can’t Find, Much Less, Catch Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Am Frustrated. Can’t Find, Much Less, Catch Crappie

I have worked full time & a half for 47 years on limited pay and have finally retired at 70 years old. Now I want to spend some fun time catching Crappie. I live across the road from a large lake that is said to have a good Crappie population. I have a canoe with a square transom and an electric motor and a Garmin Striker fish finder. I used “Traditional,” “Clear View” (Down Scan) and Side View at various times. I have a neighbor who catches the limit regularly. He has told me where he fishes which is within easy reach with my boat. He has told me where the brush piles are and has told me what jigs he uses. Today I found some brush piles in the area that he told me about. But I couldn’t see any fish on the Garmin. I even tried changing the setting to display large, medium and small fish. The Garmin beeped like crazy when shad, etc, showed up on the screen but no fish. I put down marker buoys when I saw a brush pile and fished to them, but not even 1 bite. I fished around the balls of shad, but again, nothing. I was using a Slab Tail Jig in Ugly Green and a feather jig that is like a Gray Ghost, I think. It has a gray head, Emerald Shiner Chenille body and a gray feather tail, with a smaller black feather accent or “skirt.” I’m going to check YouTube now to see if I can figure out about the fish icons. What colors do you guys like for the Side View or Side Scan, I think it is, on a Humminbird? If you have suggestions for me on finding and catching Crappie, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks

GF

Post Thanks / Like

Find the structure you'll find the crappie......

I'Il be releasing a vid this w-end that has 10 tips that will help you.......
    Likes Jackson87, redfin00 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Questions need be answered such as:
    1. how large the water
    2. depth range/ depth fished so far
    3. structure - IE shoreline drops - how gradual, how steep, weed beds and types
    5. bottom composition - mud, muck, rocks?
    6. how many other lure types have you tried and with what presentations (IE steady retrieve or slow with pauses)
    7. line used - IE type, test/diameter
    8. rod type used - IE light or medium action?; length?
    9. shoreline vegetation overhangs
    10. time of day; weather (cloud cover, bright sun)
    11. water clarity (semi-clear, murky after a rain)

Opinion - take it for what it's worth:
    Sonars that show incredible detail are rarely much better than the cheapest sonar when used in water 15' or less. They are very important in finding depths fish are caught in and therefore location types (part of a pattern). In fact, sonar rarely finds fish that you do catch; your search-lure does that by casting hundreds of times in an outing to different depths and area types.

Question to ask and answer after catching any fish: what in the water is next to or near what? plus what vegetation if any?
    Examples: a hump held fish to the side and were caught in deeper water near it but only to the south
    a weedy point near deeper water held fish
    a flat had isolated long-stem weeds that held pockets of fish
    a cove fed by one inflow was next to deeper water which held fish

Asking and answering questions with sonar and lures put you closer to discovering fish that are biting vs those that aren't. How they're caught is also trial & error - somewhat - but usually good lure designs used the right way turn out to be more versatile whereas others have their - moments....

Where you fished and didn't catch fish answered your question of one location type. Since you have floatation to search other areas and sonar to indicate what water is near what, you're on your way to finding fish that will bite - the absolute first step on every outing/ in every location on a lake or pond. Most important: learn thy water! The more time learning a water, the faster and easier it will become to finding biting fish.

Note: lure design and presentation always matter. There are only 1000 to choose from......
    Note: advice much of the time applies to a moment in time and must usually be taken with a grain of salt....
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 05-31-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Spoonminnow, here are answers, to the best of my ability to your questions. Look for the double asterisk. **

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    Questions need be answered such as:
    1. how large the water

** Lake Hartwell has more shoreline than the entire state of California. I would say big water.
    2. depth range/ depth fished so far

** Where I was fishing today was in 20 -25 feet of water but I fished from about 8 feet down to the bottom.
    3. structure - IE shoreline drops - how gradual, how steep, weed beds and types

** I would say moderate to somewhat steep drop off. But no where near vertical. Not much in the way of weed beds. Maybe 1 or 2 very small patches seen today.

5. bottom composition - mud, muck, rocks?

** Pretty hard red clay mud bottom.
    6. how many other lure types have you tried and with what presentations (IE steady retrieve or slow with pauses)
    ** I have tried a Storm King small minnow imitation. Don’t remember the name. They sell them at Walmart. Caught a small largemouth while trolling with it. Have also tried casting. Today I cast both jig styles to brush piles, also tried drifting and trolling them. My casting was with a slow retrieve.

7. line used - IE type, test/diameter

** 4 lb test fluorocarbon
    8. rod type used - IE light or medium action?; length?

** Eagle Claw 6 foot light action
    9. shoreline vegetation overhangs

** There are some overhangs but I didn’t fish along the bank. I’m pretty sure the spawn has passed. We have had a stretch of around 10 - 15 days in the mid to upper 90’s. Today when I was fishing was in the 80’s. Some scattered clouds, but a lot of sun.
    10. time of day; weather (cloud cover, bright sun).

** I had limited time today, but I fished from about 9:00 AM until 11:00 AM
    11. water clarity (semi-clear, murky after a rain)

** Hartwell, and least 20 miles or so from the dam, is almost always very clear.

Opinion - take it for what it's worth:
    Sonars that show incredible detail are rarely much better than the cheapest sonar when used in water 15' or less. They are very important in finding depths fish are caught in and therefore location types (part of a pattern). In fact, sonar rarely finds fish that you do catch; your search-lure does that by casting hundreds of times in an outing to different depths and area types.

Question to ask and answer after catching any fish: what in the water is next to or near what? plus what vegetation if any?
    Examples: a hump held fish to the side and were caught in deeper water near it but only to the south
    a weedy point near deeper water held fish
    a flat had isolated long-stem weeds that held pockets of fish
    a cove fed by one inflow was next to deeper water which held fish

Asking and answering questions with sonar and lures put you closer to discovering fish that are biting vs those that aren't. How they're caught is also trial & error - somewhat - but usually good lure designs used the right way turn out to be more versatile whereas others have their - moments....

Where you fished and didn't catch fish answered your question of one location type. Since you have floatation to search other areas and sonar to indicate what water is near what, you're on your way to finding fish that will bite - the absolute first step on every outing/ in every location on a lake or pond. Most important: learn thy water! The more time learning a water, the faster and easier it will become to finding biting fish.

Note: lure design and presentation always matter. There are only 1000 to choose from......
    Note: advice much of the time applies to a moment in time and must usually be taken with a grain of salt....

Post Thanks / Like

set your unit if you can on the regular old sonar with fish symbols . let the computer take the guess work out of it .
    big fish will be larger icons ,medium will be barely legal fish and lil icons will likely be baitfish
    most of the units I have seen this holds true on the fish symbols
    I only ran this setting on my boat when I ran a boat and it never slowed me down a bit
    and I like the fish alarm as well , when you do find fish its really important to be real close to the top of the school of fish
    its very easy to fish under a crappie and not get a bite .
    know your rod length and use it to measure your line amount between the tip and the jig .
    a 7 foot rod is a length and a half of the rod in line amount to drop it 10 foot deep with the rod tip 6 inches above the water .
    try some live minnows if all else fails until your confidence level grows then switch over to jigs
    or tip your jig with pcs of minnows and or a tiny minnow .
    one thing for certain if the lake has a good number of them one or more of these tips will put crappie in your hands
    luck to ya my friend
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes redfin00, Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

POST A CONTOUR MAP AND YOULL GET THE ANSWERS YOU SEEK.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe ask to go fishing with your friend a few times? Friends help friends out right?
    Likes Redge, redfin00, Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Central Minn View Post
    Maybe ask to go fishing with your friend a few times? Friends help friends out right?
    My thoughts exactly...or get a guide on that lake that fishes your area your interested in..Some guides are great catchers and teachers...it will cost a little more but Probably be money well spent..

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Hartwell is a massive body of water with hundreds of tributaries - too much of a challenge for anyone finding the best areas to fish or fish movements without a lot of time spent fishing there. Each tributary has its own character such as large boat traffic, depth contours, depth and flow changes based on rainfall. Like cva32 suggested, a guide can steepen the learning curve a heck of a lot on such a huge body of water. The other thing to consider are fishing forums or clubs specific to Lake Hartwell. When I fished with bass club anglers for the first time and saw different ones catch fish in different bodies of water on many different lures, that's all I needed to then concentrate on what I saw with my own eyes.

But I would also consider this: shallow ponds and smaller lakes. The lake can even be 3 miles long and still have very interesting contours/structure fish are attracted to. The less fished by others the better - especially during the week when everyone is working. Point is is to be able to learn a body of water the more time you fish it.
    The best anglers on crappie.com can suggest things such a tackle and electronic settings, but without experience on a lake or pond, your starting from scratch which can be frustrating big time! For one trying to get a grasp of what catches fish by using it to first find fish is key. That's when sonar and record keeping (notes and photo logs) pay off because fish are repetitive in behavior to a degree, swimming to the same areas different years. The more areas you discover, the greater the odds of finding and then catching them.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 06-01-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Hartwell is a massive body of water with hundreds of tributaries - too much of a challenge for anyone finding the best areas to fish or fish movements without a lot of time spent fishing there. Each tributary has its own character such as large boat traffic, depth contours, depth and flow changes based on rainfall. Like cva32 suggested, a guide can steepen the learning curve a heck of a lot on such a huge body of water. The other thing to consider are fishing forums or clubs specific to Lake Hartwell. When I fished a bass club for the first time and saw different angler catch fish in different bodies of water on many different lures, that was all I needed to concentrate on what I saw with my own eyes.

But I would also consider this: shallow ponds and smaller lakes. The lake can even be 3 miles long and still have very interesting contours/structure fish are attracted to. The less fished by others the better - especially during the week when everyone is working. Point is is to be able to learn a body of water the more time you fish it.

The best anglers on crappie.com can suggest things such a tackle and electronic settings, but without experience on a lake or pond, your starting from scratch which can be frustrating big time! For one trying to get a grasp of what catches fish by using it to first find fish is key. That's when sonar and record keeping (notes and photo logs) pay off because fish are repetitive in behavior to a degree, swimming to the same areas different years. The more areas you discover, the greater the odds of finding and then catching them.

You can do a username search of me and see how easy lure selection is with photo evidence. But unless I fished them where you fish, I would still be in the same boat (literally speaking) figuring out where fish pattern themselves on those waters.

Luck has little to do with it, but good luck anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast