Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A Question for River Fishermen

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Question for River Fishermen

The Question is about Sandbars--- I know that they are usually at sharp bends of a river on the inside of a curve, but you can have 10 bends almost the same but only one has the Sand Bar .. As I have hardly ever fished any rivers I do not know how the difference in the bottom will make to create a Sand Bar .. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Usually it's from a bank caving in close by due from high water. High water can make one and it can also remove a sand bar pretty quick.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Question for River Fishermen

It’s all due to the current. I’ve seen them come and go on the Red several times a year. In the same place.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sand bar rivers are generally wide, as a narrow river has fast current most of the time and the sand/silt just gets washed down. Wider rivers will have sand bars right before and after bends in the river, where the current is low and the sand can settle out. Deep holes are where the current focuses in on one area of a bend, right at the end of the sand bars usually.
    Name:  RIVER.png
Views: 311
Size:  41.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure in some spots soil make up plays into it . current creates them and why one spot has them and the next doesn't is likely do to the sand/gravel content in the soil upstream from them .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Those are good answers and Diagram Too .. I have been attempting to apply this info into the Lakes Channels not to look for the holes for Cats but fishing some areas that could be spawn areas or feeding Red Ears . My brother said that Sand Bars are the Primary feeding areas for most all River fish and the area has less current.. I noticed just behind the dam that Eddy currents form in pockets but sand bars do not form there. So that now makes more since because of the Current.....

Post Thanks / Like

if your looking for river redears just search fish, and remember. split shot and a lite wire hook. probe areas that should be low current areas. mark a map