HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Looking for some help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie Looking for some help

Hey, thank you for letting me join you guys on this wonderful forum.

I'm an invasive species moving in here being that all my life I have mainly been a catfish fisherman with some bass fishing thrown in. I've never actually thrown a jig in for a crappie or sat hunkered over some brush with a minnow on the line looking for a crappie. I've caught a few here and there as by catch but never out right targeted them.

I'm looking to change that, the few I've caught have always been fun hard fighting little fish and I've always admired the culture built around Crappie fishing. So I have been itching to get into it.

I've done some research online but sorry if this is posted all the time but I figured what's better than going right to the source to get some tips from the experts. I'll mainly be fishing from a yak so I won't be able to do much in terms of spot hopping. So I'd love to hear your guys tips and tricks big or small to getting into the sport.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd probably start by learning how to shoot a jig under a dock. Docks are sometimes Crappie magnets, and they're easy visual targets. Doing it from a yak just means you can shoot the jig from a much lower trajectory, & approach the dock with more stealth (no motor noise, prop wash, large boat shadow, etc.) You can also do this technique with medium power spinning rod/reel outfit, which you may already have. A medium power / fast action tip spinning rod of 5-7ft in length should offer you an ideal dock shooting outfit. And you could use that same outfit to cast/retrieve jigs & Road Runner lures around shoreline cover.

I prefer using weedless jigheads & plastics for all my jig casting techniques, primarily because I'm normally casting those jigs into wood cover of various types (downed trees, brushpiles, submerged standing or fallen trees, etc.) and don't want to have to be constantly breaking off & retying. A handful of 1/32oz, 1/24oz, and/or 1/16oz weedless jigheads will get you started & should last a good while. Quality line of 4-6lb test should be a major factor, along with a good quality spinning reel that balances well with your spinning rod.

You can also check out the yak setups of other members and join in the discussions going on at : https://www.crappie.com/crappie/kaya...ll-watercraft/ .... and you're also likely to get a lot of good info on the NC state forum & the Beginners n Mentoring forum (to go along with whatever info you get here on the Main Message forum).

And when you are around stationary docks, bridge pillars, standing/fallen timber & the like ... you might want to try this technique : Crappie Pappy Article
    Likes funfishers LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

glad you're here!
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Thanks yakkin thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard! I will be looking forward to seeing your fishing report and pictures for sure.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Thanks yakkin thanked you for this post

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the group. And listen to Pappy.

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes yakkin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

CrappiePappy gave good advice - a good place to start. Here are some other considerations:
    1. know the depth you're casting into and how far you're casting a lure
    It could be in 2.5' or 15' but visualize where your lure is doing its stuff
    2. If using spinning tackle, consider using small diameter braid as the main line with or without a small diameter leader of fluorocarbon
    Depending on you hookset style, braid allows a fish to start the hookset process as long as the hook is SHARP. (check frequently for sharpness and hook gap.)
    3. There are thousand of soft plastic lures that crappie along with most fish species attack for whatever reason. Whatever the design always remember a slow and uneven speed of retrieve catches the most fish due to the following sequence:
    gets its attention and keeps it long enough for the fish to become irritated enough (or maybe just curious) to attack. Simple!
    4. Lure size, shape and action matter (color maybe depending on those three things)
    If any one of those elements are wrong, you may as well cast live bait (and even then of the right size). In my experience and on the lakes I fish, lures that demonstrate slight actions get bit - each design a bit different when worked. Got to fish them to find out which to always store in the tackle box.
    5. Rod action and length are crucial
    A light action rod between 5.6' and 6' is a good way to start casting light lures with small diameter line.
    6. The more area covered the right way = more fish as long as the above is strictly adhered to
    Fish locations change seasonally and sometimes weekly or daily, meaning you got find them to catch them like any fish. Casting to one area or area type and getting few or no bites = boredom in my book, and lures are the fastest way to accomplish finding fish location(s). Even a shoreline angler should walk & cast, walk & cast until maybe a school is found (a bonanza if there ever was one!).

Luck is one thing. Catching and feeling lucky with every fish caught - a whole different ball game.

Likes yakkin, funfishers LIKED above post
    Thanks Just_Bass thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the wonderful posts guys, so you guys recommend I start with jig fishing over minnow fishing? Any recommendations on jigs? jig heads or jig colors? I got some good advice from the NC section about how the DNR posts the locations of fish attractors, I found 6 atrractors pretty close to a kayak launch about 20 minutes away from me and am going to head out around 10-11 tomorrow and fish till I can't anymore. I feel like a kid on Christmas, I'm very excited to hit the water tomorrow.

I don't have a fish finder but I do have a solid depth finder so finding the spots will be challenging however, I will keep an eye out for under water cover or significant drop offs. The fish attractors are given off via coordinates, does anyone know of a free app I could use to punch in those coordinates on my phone on the lake to find them easier?

Thanks

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Google Maps. And prefer 1/8 oz. #2 Jig heads tied with a loop knot. The reason for my preference on the heavier jigs is I fish Wheeler Lake in Alabama and the water seems to be a little swifter and helps with the "angling".

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes yakkin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Any recommendations on jigs? jig heads or jig colors?
    Everyone has a preference. Mine are always unpainted. Why distract attention away from the lure or make it appear larger unless that's what's preferred.
    "A handful of 1/32oz, 1/24oz, and/or 1/16oz" are also my basic sizes along with proper hook sizes #4 and #6 for lure sizes from 2.5"-1.5"; #8 hook for lures near 1"; #2 hooks for larger thicker lures.
    Ebay the only source for me for unpainted ballhead jigs with bronze non-sickle style hooks as well as KastKing #8 test /2# diameter braid.

Suggestion for storage and easy access using the foam used for mail transport:

Do a search of my username for lure ideas showing the fish they catch.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 05-31-2019 at 12:32 AM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd probably start with 1/16oz ballhead jigs with the fiber brush style weedguard & a #4 hook .... which is easily found at most any major fishing outlet (Cabela's/BPS, Sportsmans Whse, Academy, etc. or even at Walmart). I'd use 1.5" - 2" plastics in the "stinger shad" or "boot tail" versions ... there are MANY brands to choose from, so to begin with you can get away with whatever's cheap & readily available. (off brands & house brands are generally cheaper than name brands)

Some good colors/combos to begin with would be:
    Blue/Chartreuse
    Pink
    Green/Chartreuse
    Black/Chartreuse

Then, once you start getting the hang of it & the methods you choose to use are productive ... then you can consider getting better quality jigheads, plastics, etc. (many of which are made by site Sponsors or custom bait maker members)

Just don't let the dreaded "Bait Monkey" get in your head and/or control your wallet !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast