Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Shimano Citica- time to learn:)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bought a Shimano Citica- time to learn:)

I figured if I spent that kind of money on a reel, it would keep me motivated to learn a baitcaster. By this time next year, I'll be able to cast it:o

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you bought a fine one. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

That will be a nice reel to have. You will enjoy it once you learn to use it. I remember learning and it wasn't pretty.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking They're not all that hard ......

Quote Originally Posted by nralover
    I figured if I spent that kind of money on a reel, it would keep me motivated to learn a baitcaster. By this time next year, I'll be able to cast it:o
    to learn to cast .... just takes a little practice :D

Rule #1 ... DON'T cast it like it was a spincast or spinning reel !! (see explanation at end of rules list)
    Rule #2 ... try casting it short distances, first ... then work your way up to longer casts.
    Rule #3 ... "educate your thumb" (let your thumb lightly rub against the line, when casting out - stop the spool just "before" the bait lands)
    Rule #4 ... handles point straight up/down, when casting, depending on which side of the reel they're on - which arm you cast with.
    Rule #5 ... let your thumb come off the line spool BEFORE you start your forward rod motion.
    Rule #6 ... follow thru with your rod, during the cast ... don't cast and stop your rod's forward motion, before you have the rod tip pointing at your intended splashdown spot.

It's not a spincast or spinning reel ... the line doesn't "fall off" the spool ... the line spool must rotate, in order for the line/bait to be sent forward. With this in mind - draw back the rod ... when the rod loads up (bait's weight bends rod tip away from you), then start your rod's forward motion ... letting your thumb come off the line spool, as you start that forward motion ... bring the rod tip all the way forward, until it's pointing at the intended target spot ... letting your thumb lightly drag against the line on the spool ... then applying enough pressure to stop the spinning line spool, just before your bait hits the water.

Practice, practice, practice !! Read your "manual" ... and set your brakes, & line tension knob, accordingly. Strive for accuracy, first ... THEN adjust/practice for distance.
    Once you get the hang of the mechanics of casting a baitcaster, overhand ... try sidearm ... then the roll cast ... then the flip cast. Then you'll want to learn the fine art of "pitching". And don't worry about learning the method of "flipp'n" ... that's not even a "cast" (the reel stays engaged, and you use a measured amount of line, held and controlled by your handle turning hand).

...... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

and the word of the day... "backlash"

Things you need to have while learning baitcasting.

1) patience.
    2) a casting weight so you can practice in the back yard where your fishing buddies can't see you and the kids can't hear the words you'll be saying.
    3) more patience
    4) spare line for refilling your spool after cutting out a bad backlash
    5) more patience

Once you've got the hang of it, the only thing you need to have... is fun!!!

Good luck!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, you will not regret your purchase. The main thing is setting the brake according to what lure you have on. Put on the lure you want to use and then set the brake where the lure barely, and I mean barely starts to let down when depressing the thumb bar. You will have to re-adjust that if you change to a different lure, however check it from time to time even with the same lure on. I recommend for bass fishing Trilene 12 lb XT in the green color or Trilene 12 lb XL clear . 12 lb test is the perfect size line for this reel. Go above this and casting distance suffers, go below it and ole monster latches on, you will probably will have a bad day. Cuh Pow Yal. Next set the star drag to where you can pull the line out of the reel but to where it has a good amount of resistance. Don't forget that Super Fluke in White Pearl. For crappie, vertical trolling off the bow, use 8lb test Trilene XL clear cause your not casting. Oh also I would do this other thing. I'm glad I did when I started out, when throwing rotate your wrist inward to where the top of your hand is showing while throwing this reduces splash, increases casting distance and you can flick or pop your wrist like a whip when you get better and fling the mess out of it. Also you can back off the brake some when you get the hang of it and see that lure cast alot farther without fear of backlash. Rotating that wrist will feel completely awkward at first, but after awhile it will feel completely natural. Second lure is a Rapala F13 Floating Minnow in black and silver with a swivel. Awesome bait. The F13 is heavier than the F11 Floating Minnow it will be easier to throw and will cast farther . It is a big bass bait. Good luck! PM me if you ever need help, you be wearing them out in no time baitcaster style. Yes Sir Buddy!
    Last edited by Countrytime; 04-20-2007 at 07:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Great reel. Of my 3 baitcasters (Citica, Chronarch & Calcutta), it's probably my favorite. Baitcasters are really the only reels I am really comfortable with. At one time, I could knock a nickle out of my pops fingertips from 40 yards....
    Just kidding of course. But I was a good shot. You'll love it once you get used to it. Patience is the key.... if for nothing other than picking out those pesky birdnests :D .
    When I started fishing Crappie just recently, I found out that I had to learn spinning outfits. I still hate them. Wish they made a baitcaster for light light tackle. Maybe I'll get to use the baitcasters once I start boat fishing. If not, I'm gonna sell 'em b/c I'm past the ears in bass fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

a couple of things I have discovered with using a baitcaster, if real windy do not try casting straight into wind, and for me most important if my lure and line is only allowing x amount of distance in my cast, everytime I try to muscle 10 or 15 feet more with the cast I will spend 1/2 hour cussing and cutting a bird's nest out. , you would think an old man would no better but it gets me more often than i like to admit

Post Thanks / Like

Citicas are good reels,just remember keep that drag tight till you get the feel for it then slowly loosen up the drag as you get better.

I have 2 citicas along with one BPS extreme baitcaster as well.

best way to get used to casting it,is putting on a 1/2 oz weight and play with it in the yard for awhile,till you educate your thumb to stopping the spool.

Post Thanks / Like

Grumpa is right do not cast into the wind, if you want a frustrating day that is how to achieve one. There is that nasty two letter word called spool overrun. Matt's advice on using the thumb to slow down or stop the spool as the lure approaches the water is dead on. After awhile all that will not be needed. You will fine tune that reel to throw it like Roland Martin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast