HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Patterns after BIG rain?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Patterns after BIG rain?

So I'm in West Texas and we just got around 6 or 8 inches of rain in the last two days! That's a ton for these parts and when I went to my local lake that's usually dark green/blue color it's now a brown muddy soup. There's a ton of water coming in and although it's considered a "constant level" lake and has a spillway, right now the water is about a foot high - the highest I've ever seen it. I fish with jigs and none of the colors I'm putting in are working and the normal spots I go don't seem to have any crappie at all.

Y'all got any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is the crappie will scatter out and they will be somewhat harder to catch. During these times usually my knowing where I placed fish habitat will pay off. But don't bet on one place move pretty fast to another one if they don't bite very fast. Use minnows or a spinner type artificial bait(road runners are good) with slabsauce or crappie nibble helps during this time when casting or long lining and spider rigging.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes Lazy Cody LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

Use the brightest jigs you can. Hot pink, yellow etc. stay away from the neutral colors. Fish will settle down after the lake level stabilizes. Right now with the influx of water they have a smorgasbord of food floating around.

My local lake hasn't been down to it's summer level yet. Rain forecast for 3" more this week. Lake rises nearly a foot for each inch of rain. I'll fish the same spots that I'm fishing now only slower. The males are ganged up right now on the first drop off from shore.
    Thanks Lazy Cody thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say be ready to make changes, I've seen where big baits would do better and I've seen where small baits was the ticket......
    High contrast, low contrast, bright and dark baits would be on the deck of my boat and I'd let the fish decide witch they prefer.....
    I'd start shalla regardless of the depth of water over structure.....
    That should get you on some fish.....

Post Thanks / Like

More good info. Much appreciated!

silverside is online now Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All good info already. I would also try orange and chartreuse baits with a spinner such as a roadrunner like scat mentioned. Gives them more to hone in on.
    Also slow down. Put a jig below a cork and work it real slow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app