HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night time crappies fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night time crappies fishing?

How do you guys fish at night, if you fish from shore?lighted Bobbers, dropshot or just simple cast and hop along the bottom? Which lure and color work best at night?

Post Thanks / Like

On a new moon, find you a spot with some brush or other cover in about 10-15 fow with some deep water close by and hang a lantern; or find some boat docks near deep water that have lights on. Fish minnows about 2-3 feet deep. On a full moon, I spider rig minnows juuuust below the surface in 6-10 fow and hang on! This is my substitute for not being able to use yo-yo's at night. If you go with jigs, go dark colors. Good luck!
    Likes Fishn buddy LIKED above post

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Use underwater green lights. Fish a known location for crappie, such as bridge pillars or brush. Place your underwater lights in the water, generally before dark. This will attract the bait fish which will in turn attract the game fish.

I generally have one rod with a lighted float and one rod straight down. I use light sticks for my float and cast it out beyond the circle of light created by the green lights. I may slowly retrieve it back into the green light circle or I may just allow it to sit just outside the circle of light. I then drop the other line straight down to the bottom and slowly retrieve it up, then repeat the process. If the water isn't deep enough to jig then I would cast beyond the light circle and swim it back to me. This depends on which method is the most productive, the float line or the jig line.

I currently use jigs but have used minnows in the past. Minnows are more productive, just more trouble to use.

You will need a source of light to use to tie on jigs, etc and to be safe.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid. -Ben Franklin
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Any day I'm fishing is a good day, regardless of what I catch.

Post Thanks / Like

My home lake is too full of wild water lice, wakeboarders, and idiots during the day these warm months, so I am very interested in fishing at night!

Any recommended lights? I'd like to buy a couple. There's a few bridges I can go try to fish.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jawjatek View Post
    My home lake is too full of wild water lice, wakeboarders, and idiots during the day these warm months, so I am very interested in fishing at night!

Any recommended lights? I'd like to buy a couple. There's a few bridges I can go try to fish.
    Go on Youtube and search green fishing lights to build your own and save some money. I find the brighter the better, I use the hole 15' LED strip in a 24" light. I built 2 for about 1/4 the price of a store bought light.
    You know me, I'm always ready for a road trip. Chip Newest member of Traveling Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

I spider rig at night following channel line edges with green light sticks submerged and I bought these led light bars that run off 12 volt wired to a switch and they are fantastic, bright and very cheap. I put one in front of every four rod holders and couldn't be happier.Name:  Capture%2B_2018-07-23-11-13-55.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  43.9 KB

Sent from my VS988 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Light under water is not workable for me. I only fish a couple hour at night on public dock not boat. Minnow is also not an option. I’ll keep the light in mind, though, one day I’ll take pontoon out anchor overnight and fish the heck out of it.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 05-25-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

the light can be as simple as a solar spotlight from the flower bed or a led submersible. I take the soar spot and put it on the dc pot to shine down. within he hour you should have minnows and crapy. jig plastics or a iiggin rap.

Post Thanks / Like

If I add lighted stick or rattle to the line close to jig when rig bobbers, would that help? Anyone try it? I have noticed at night after bobbers hit water I pretty much got bite right away if crappies around. I think the splash sound call crappies to come investigate.

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a floating headlight . It costs $13.99 at amazon. I would probably lengthen the cord if I was using it from a bank but this is a fast, easy solution. And I know floating headlights work as I used them for years before I switched to green underwater lights.

We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid. -Ben Franklin
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Any day I'm fishing is a good day, regardless of what I catch.
    Thanks Humdinger thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast