Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Off Topic--Mercury Motor Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Off Topic--Mercury Motor Problems

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this...I have an 86 Mercury 60hp I have had for a year...When i got it it ran funny the 3rd time out...Took it in and changed the spark plugs and bam it is good again...2 weeks later i take it out and fuel is pouring out of the carburator, put new float switches on and it ran fine...Took it out this weekend, ran good for an hour, then I started it up and gave it the gas and bam it went practically into an idle mode...I would give it gas and it would only go one speed, idle...If I put the throttle all the way down it would just sputter out...Does this sound like my spark plugs again? I just replaced them a few months back...What could be fouling these plugs if that is what it is? Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel Pump Diaphragm

Definitely sounds like your Fuel Pump Diaphragm needs replaced. Over time the diaphragms get brittle and don't expand like they should. This is a do-it-yourself project which takes about an hour tops to do less if you've done them before.
    Mine was doing the same last year so I replaced mine and it was the problem for sure. Don't go out and buy the pump because you probably don't need a new one, just get a diaphragm kit from your local marina.
    Good Luck, I know it will work!!!
    Crouch & Hengstler Team Vicious, Southern Pro, Crappie Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Serial #

What is the serial # for your outboard?
    Crouch & Hengstler Team Vicious, Southern Pro, Crappie Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with treefish, but after you get that fixed, make sure that you are running the right gas/oil ratio. That will foul your plugs...it did on my mercury.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Treefish
    Definitely sounds like your Fuel Pump Diaphragm needs replaced. Over time the diaphragms get brittle and don't expand like they should. This is a do-it-yourself project which takes about an hour tops to do less if you've done them before.
    Mine was doing the same last year so I replaced mine and it was the problem for sure. Don't go out and buy the pump because you probably don't need a new one, just get a diaphragm kit from your local marina.
    Good Luck, I know it will work!!!

Also make sure your floats in the carb aint sticking....sticking float will cause the symptoms your talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

I will check on my serial number...i am using quicksilver oil and mixing it 50/1...i know it is not my mixture!!

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't have the fouling plugs, but my Yamaha would only idle and I had to get the carb. rebuilt. I got some water in the gas and it gummed it up. Good luck getting it fixed.