Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 16 foot crappie rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default 16 foot crappie rods

Guys,
    If you were gonna buy 2 16 ft crappie rods for pulling cranks or spider rigging what would they be? Keep in mind I'm poor. lol

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd probably get BnM BGJP's or BnM Capps/Coleman 16' rods ... but, I'd look at Grizzly Jig's catalog for better pricing. I've "used" these rods for Pushing jigs & cranks, but they were not my rods.
    I don't Pull or Spider Rig, but do Push jigs/cranks with my 14' Capps/Coleman, 13' BPS Uncle Bucks, and 14' BnM PST rods ... and with the exception of the PST, I see no downside to using the C/C or Bucks for Spider Rigging or Pulling.

You might also keep your eyes on the Classifieds forum, as I've seen some long rods for sale on there (with pricing well below the avg. retail, even for new/unused rods).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoughriverRick View Post
    Guys,
    If you were gonna buy 2 16 ft crappie rods for pulling cranks or spider rigging what would they be? Keep in mind I'm poor. lol
    Go to the bottoms and cut a couple 16 foot cane, good to go....
    Seriously though, not sure. Been thinking about a couple 16's myself but haven't decided yet

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Southern Crappie hard to beat.
    LittleJohn

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt lots of great rods on the market, I personally use Jenko Spider trolls, they are sensitive in the tip with all the backbone needed to swing the giants in the boat. JMO.

Sent from my VS988 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the need for 16' rods myself. I know the "pro's" use them but one of the best crappie fisherman that I know uses 10' rods with great results. I own some 13' rods but prefer my 10' rods over them.

Since I have started using my Livescope I have discovered that crappie don't spook from trolling motors as much as I had read that they did. I now use my 5' ultralight rods to fish over brush for them when they are 8' down without any problems. I often fish on either side of my trolling motor, straight down.

I use the spot lock on my trolling motor to keep me within a foot or two of the brush pile. The trolling motor is constantly running to maintain position and I still catch crappie. I see no reaction from the crappie to the trolling motor.

A few months back some friends were removing a deck from a slip I had at the time. They were using a reciprocating saw to cut through screws, which was quite noisy. We were also fishing three fee away at the next slip and catching crappie. The crappie were ignoring the noise created by the deck removal.

Since getting the Livescope I have found that crappie spook quicker from sudden movements of the jig than they do to external noises. I have seen them run from a 1/64th oz jig that I moved too fast or jigged too high. They return after a few moments but sudden movements do spook them.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid. -Ben Franklin
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Any day I'm fishing is a good day, regardless of what I catch.