PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Crank Starter Pack

Pcdimis
05-21-2019, 09:07 AM
Gonna try my first attempt at pulling cranks (hopefully this weekend) and this what I have so far.

ATS 15 Line Counter reels with 10lb mono (I only bought 2 to start want to make sure I'm going to like them)
Rods - I have some old 7' med heavy rods kicking around in the garage
6 INT Pico cranks
4 BnM Cranks
2 Bandit 300's
4 Arkies

I'm trying to spread the initial cost out by using old rods and buying just a few items at a time but is there anything else I'm missing as far as MUST haves to get started?

Thanks

Erin Brewer
05-21-2019, 09:14 AM
looks like a good start! The line counters are not a must have they just help you get dialed in to exactly where you want the cranks to run. But you have a good variaty of cranks to get you going! Good luck its addictive!

slabin
05-21-2019, 09:18 AM
I'm trying to spread the initial cost out by using old rods and buying just a few items at a time but is there anything else I'm missing as far as MUST haves to get started?

Thanks[/QUOTE]About $800 after that your set

Locator79
05-21-2019, 09:23 AM
Crank bait knocker is a useful tool

Sent from my SM-A105G using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

cevans
05-21-2019, 09:28 AM
Get some safety snaps or swivels with snaps to attach and change out crankbaits also.

Pcdimis
05-21-2019, 09:29 AM
Hopefully I can keep it under $800 or gonna have to get a P.O. Box to have my orders sent to. My better half is already starting to ask too many questions.

USMA65
05-21-2019, 09:34 AM
I have two brand new Scotty rod holders, without the bases, that I will offer first to pcdimis, and if he doesn't want them, first come gets the prize. I recently bought them by mistake and would rather give them away than to return them, be charged for shipping and then basically be giving their merchandise back to them for free. These holders are for casting reels and have a rubber strap at the end, I do not remember the model number. You would have to purchase two Scotty bases. But they're free.....I'll even pay shipping, as long as you are not in Bangladesh !!!

SKs Crappie Catching Adventures
05-21-2019, 09:37 AM
Are those Pico cranks?

Pcdimis
05-21-2019, 09:40 AM
I have two brand new Scotty rod holders, without the bases, that I will offer first to pcdimis, and if he doesn't want them, first come gets the prize. I recently bought them by mistake and would rather give them away than to return them, be charged for shipping and then basically be giving their merchandise back to them for free. These holders are for casting reels and have a rubber strap at the end, I do not remember the model number. You would have to purchase two Scotty bases. But they're free.....I'll even pay shipping, as long as you are not in Bangladesh !!! I’ll take them, sent you a PM.

Pcdimis
05-21-2019, 09:40 AM
Are those Pico cranks? Yes

SKs Crappie Catching Adventures
05-21-2019, 09:56 AM
If you would keep us posted on how everything works for you.....
I've been thinking of getting into cranking myself.....

Pcdimis
05-21-2019, 10:07 AM
If you would keep us posted on how everything works for you.....
I've been thinking of getting into cranking myself.....
Will do

skeetbum
05-21-2019, 01:33 PM
The snaps that you want are duo lock snaps, and they don’t have to be big. Ive caught 11lb catfish on a crank and never had a snap fail. And never stopped the boat.

I. Believe that you have enough to get started, always have a solid black in the spread. Softer rods help with hookset and the fish don’t tear out as much. If you could run 6 rods out the back or sides, 2 straight back, 2 at a 45* angle and two at 90* you’ll get good separation and cover a lot of water. Lots of ways to do it but that is a simple one.

Have fun, I had a blast and boated lots of fish doing it. Oh, sorry for your new addiction.

jbird68
05-21-2019, 06:58 PM
FishUSA will have buy one get one free sales. Last year I got a bunch of Smithwick Rogue 20's and Berkley Flicker Shad's that way. If you spent over $50 shipping is free.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Atimm693
05-21-2019, 07:33 PM
Rod holders. I use the wire style with 3-screw bases. 10 bucks from Walmart.

I run 4 rods maximum fishing solo. Even that can be a handful while trying to drive the boat and deal with fish. My rod holders are screwed right into the deck, so I have two rods straight off the back, and two off the front deck straight out to the side.

Set your drags light, barely enough to keep them from free spooling, especially if you run braid.

If you have some ~6ft medium spinning rods, those will work as well. Use metered Fireline as a line counter. I only have two dedicated trolling rods, the rest are dual purpose spinning combos. I run braid, so I prefer a medium rod with a fast tip, I get more hookups this way.

As the summer progresses you may desire to add some weight, which is a whole other can of worms.

The last thing I would recommend is a plug knocker. Mine has paid for itself many times over.

Mike1234
05-21-2019, 07:45 PM
I hope you have a good weekend but I wouldnít be discouraged if itís not. The lakes are going to be very busy this weekend best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Pcdimis
05-21-2019, 08:29 PM
The snaps that you want are duo lock snaps, and they don’t have to be big. Ive caught 11lb catfish on a crank and never had a snap fail. And never stopped the boat.

I. Believe that you have enough to get started, always have a solid black in the spread. Softer rods help with hookset and the fish don’t tear out as much. If you could run 6 rods out the back or sides, 2 straight back, 2 at a 45* angle and two at 90* you’ll get good separation and cover a lot of water. Lots of ways to do it but that is a simple one.

Have fun, I had a blast and boated lots of fish doing it. Oh, sorry for your new addiction.
Thanks for the info I will look into those snaps

Pcdimis
05-21-2019, 08:30 PM
FishUSA will have buy one get one free sales. Last year I got a bunch of Smithwick Rogue 20's and Berkley Flicker Shad's that way. If you spent over $50 shipping is free.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using TapatalkHows the flicker shad worked for you?

Pcdimis
05-21-2019, 08:32 PM
I hope you have a good weekend but I wouldn’t be discouraged if it’s not. The lakes are going to be very busy this weekend best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936) Yea I think I’m gonna pass on this weekend and try one day thru week next week. The lakes me an my buddy fish get pretty cramped with wake board boats and jet skis on the weekends especially this coming weekend.

jbird68
05-21-2019, 08:41 PM
Hows the flicker shad worked for you?I didn't have too much luck trolling for walleye. But I did have a good day casting them for LM BASS.

Pcdimis
05-22-2019, 06:30 PM
My Picos came in today and man they are good looking baits, the fit and finish is far better than any other cranks I have . Just hope they fish as good as they look!

RoughriverRick
05-22-2019, 06:40 PM
You're gonna be a crappie Assassin!

Pcdimis
05-22-2019, 07:21 PM
You're gonna be a crappie Assassin!
Who Are We!

RoughriverRick
05-23-2019, 07:31 AM
Who Are We!Crappie Assassins!!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

trypman1
05-23-2019, 08:55 AM
You are on the way to having a lot of fun, Be sure you have some long needle nose pliers to remove the hooks with and save the throw backs lives. I see small throwbacks floating a lot when a lot of people are trolling, this happens when you rip their lips out,- that is shameful. Have fun!

Pcdimis
05-24-2019, 08:02 AM
You are on the way to having a lot of fun, Be sure you have some long needle nose pliers to remove the hooks with and save the throw backs lives. I see small throwbacks floating a lot when a lot of people are trolling, this happens when you rip their lips out,- that is shameful. Have fun! Good suggestion, I will get a set of plier and put in my box.

Boa3
05-24-2019, 09:11 AM
My Picos came in today and man they are good looking baits, the fit and finish is far better than any other cranks I have . Just hope they fish as good as they look!

They Do !!!!!

jbird68
05-24-2019, 12:40 PM
My Picos came in today and man they are good looking baits, the fit and finish is far better than any other cranks I have . Just hope they fish as good as they look!Looks like it has good ball dimples on the body.

Skippa Chippa
05-24-2019, 06:29 PM
Go to the Arkie web site and take a picture of their dive chart to help with the amount of line out to get the bait to certain depths. This will be pretty accurate for the combination of baits you have, some may run a little deeper. Remember the amount of line out starts where the line touches the water not the number on the counter. This may be getting to technical go out have fun catch fish then start to fine tune your new addiction. Don't forget the lure retriever it will save you some money in the long run.

Pcdimis
05-30-2019, 07:09 PM
Update** Finally got on the water water and pulled cranks today and I gotta say I was pretty impressed with results for first time out. We caught 2 that weighed about 1lb and the rest was small. We only pulled for about 1 1/2 hours as we started the day spider rigging. It was definitely a different experience as to what I am used to due to the speed we trolled but fun nonetheless. The sweet spot for us today was about 50 feet of line out at 1.5mph. The picos outfished everything in my box today specifically the orange/red crawfish patterns. I did lose one bait that broke off before I realized what happened but I have another order to pull the trigger on this afternoon.

I have been a ride or die spider rig man but after today I think I may new tool in the tool box to pull out when things are tough. I really appreciate everyone’s advice and help in getting me going in the right direction with this.

Pcdimis
06-02-2019, 01:44 PM
Iíll take them, sent you a PM.
The rod holders showed up yesterday! Thank you so much, these are gonna work well on my DIY spider rig set up.

eagle 1
06-02-2019, 11:10 PM
Go to the Arkie web site and take a picture of their dive chart to help with the amount of line out to get the bait to certain depths. This will be pretty accurate for the combination of baits you have, some may run a little deeper. Remember the amount of line out starts where the line touches the water not the number on the counter. This may be getting to technical go out have fun catch fish then start to fine tune your new addiction. Don't forget the lure retriever it will save you some money in the long run.

archp625
06-20-2019, 03:46 PM
I would recommend throwing in some #5 Flicker shads. They are cheap and effective when trolling for crappie, whites and walleyes.

USMA65
06-20-2019, 03:57 PM
I would recommend throwing in some #5 Flicker shads. They are cheap and effective when trolling for crappie, whites and walleyes.

Bingo!!! I just discovered these, and the River Rocker, while watching a Lindy Fishing show. I lived in SD for a few years and loved a company called Scheel's. On Father's Day, they had a sale on both. Two days later they were in my tackle box, and tomorrow, hopefully, they will be in a crappie's mouth!!!