Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigs, Tipped, abd floats...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigs, Tipped, abd floats...

Ok so I catch crappie and bluegill of jigs everytime i go fishing now. I catch them faster on minnows or worms.

If you have live bait why even use a jig under a float? Or even tipped while jigging? If i don't move the jig under the float it wont get a bite, but if i tip it it will. If i don't tip it and jiggle it around here and there i'll get a bit, not as near as fast as i would i i used live bait.

So why use jigs tipped with live bait or cut minnows under a float or at all? If you have the live bait why not use it?

If I have live bait I always catch more with it without a jig....

I just need to know, why tip jigs if the fish are going after the live bait rather than the jig? It helps? Well sure cuz they want to the live bait not your jig... And of course you can catch fish, with just a jig, but why not just use live bait if it works faster?

Post Thanks / Like

For me, jigs greatly out perform live bait. Occasionaly I have to use minnows, but usually I will out catch every bait fisherman in the boat.
    www.varsitymrtg.com the #1 source for Fisherman's home financing.

Post Thanks / Like

On alot of occasions they will quit biting live bait and they ll still hit a jig. I have caught alot of nice stringers of fish where ill catch 5 or 6 on live bait and they ll just stop hitting,then start catching them on a jig. Just something new to get them going again. Also jigs can be fished a little faster and are a good search lure when your not sure where they are and just need to find a few before you hone in on em. I seem to catch my biggest fish off jigs too. Lastly theres just something a little more satisfying about catching a fish you know you fooled, not the minnow.
    Its all about how ya wiggle it!

Post Thanks / Like

The bigger fish will usually be caught on jigs. I don't really know how to explain it, but my oppinion, they will usually hit a jig even they are not hungry. It's kinda like you just got through eating supper and are full, but someone walks by and offers you a chocolate or a mint, I bet you take it, even though your not hungry anymore.
    As for tipping jigs, i have only done it a few times, and the reason mainly (lazy) I didn't want to re-tie the line, and afterwards thought about it, it looks like the minnow/shiner is eating the jig and the crappie eat the minnow.
    One thing I noticed, lately I have been fishing 20ft of water 12-14ft down, caint get them to bite on jigs, fishing with 4 rods, two rigged with shiner hooks and two with jig heads and I will catch 3 to 1 on the jig head with the shiner. I think it keeps the shiner more stationary, takes away most of the swimming room for them to escape.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Sometimes the color and flash of the jig will "attract" the fish's attention. The smell will "trigger" the fish to bite. They won't bite what they can't first find and see. With a double jig rig you have the best of both worlds.

Besides, in a feeding frenzy, with a jig, you don't have to change lures as often.

old ship
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I found that jigs catch fish as well or better that live bait. They also allow you to get fishing faster after catching one because you don't have to re bait ever time. I do tip jigs with minnows while slow trolling in the early spring but the rest of the year I don't bother with minnows at all.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Westwood Guest

Default Vhs

There are some minnow issues in Michigan due to VHS. You can still get them but the selection is not that great as they cannot import any minnows from out of state and I am sure prices are not going to be that good.
    So I guess convenience is going to be an issue. In addition not always fishing in a populated area. Tough to find minnows if you are going to fish a National Forest Lake.

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on what they're hitting at any given time.

I'll use live when that's all they're hitting, or artificial (jigs) when they aren't hitting minnows or worms.

Gotta give 'em what they want!

Post Thanks / Like

Amren, that's a very good question.
    I feel exactly the same way. Now though, I'm going to 100% dedication to jigs. Now there are so many people that just fish jigs, they can't be all wrong.:D

Your absolutely correct Westwood.
    That's why I'm switching over to jigs.
    Early this time of year we get Golden's and they will out fish jigs 10 to 1 if not better.
    Now,,, with that being said. Once the Golden's are unobtainable and we start getting into the fat heads and mud minnows, that's the end of the catching. It's been like that sence I can remember.
    So now,, when they do stop the importing it's going to be a artificial. That's the reason I just sent in my jig tying kit order.:o
    I guess if you love to fish, and you don't take along live bait. You have to use something.

I sure do wish we could use more then two rods.
    We're really at a disadvantage. The people that can use 4, 5, 6 rods can set each one up a different way. They have ability to figure out what it takes much faster then we can. I really don't like setting up a couple of rods, trying whats on them and then have to change them over.
    There is one advantage though. It keeps me from having a boat full of rods and reels. Cheaper too.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

The crappie on my wall bit a minnow. But, on average, I catch larger ones with a jig. I think it is bad luck if you don't have both in the boat. Normally I put a couple of minnows out under corks, or straight line if in deep water. At the same time I am doing something with a jig IE: tightlining, casting, or slipcork.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast