HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: MTL - "Tag", You're It

Post Thanks / Like

Default MTL - "Tag", You're It

As promised in my separate response to an earlier thread, here's a bit more detail on our trip last Friday (5/17).

We launched at U at daybreak and ran down-lake where we found a bit cleaner water (atleast for Twain) and set up to rig. Before a single rig/jig hit the water we agreed that today's keepers were anything 10" or above, regardless of what that meant for take-home numbers. We drug minnows/jigs 5-7 ft. deep in 8-12 ft. of water, expecting them top be staged where they had originally set up before the major rise in the lake and they were there. Had to do some sorting as a lot of 9 3/4" hit the deck but we had 11 in the box before the crowds became unbearable (atleast to us). It still amazes me that once people see a couple fish caught, how close they'll get into you.

So, we rolled up and decided to run to a spot wayyyy up river where we knew we wouldn't be bothered. Redeployed the rigs in a very narrow creek channel, fishing the steep bluff side and picked a few good fish up. With the Corp. pulling the lake down hard we were thinking that any fish up in those areas would be backed off to the channel...seems we were right. A few more hit the box and it was time to run again.

Crept back down mid-lake and I'll be dam*ed if we didn't find a little pocket of prespawn fish...... we finished our 2-man limit, again, being very selective and left a lot for seed. Even better was that we stuck to our 10" mandate, even when it took us an additional 25 minutes to get that last one as the last 12-13 were 9 3'4". Still fun, though!

Here's the crazy part! Dad and I have fished Twain essentially since it's been open for business and a copious amount of lakes, north to south, in the United States without ever catching a "tagged" fish. Today, we didn't catch one......we caught two, on completely opposite ends of the lake! What are the odds?

Hero shot for proof (note the tags):

Name:  IMG_4838.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  50.7 KB

Cooler shot:

Name:  Resized_20190518_094305(1).jpg
Views: 734
Size:  56.0 KB

Looks like the lake got slammed yesterday and overnight, back on the rise so that should mess things up a bit. With the water temps in the 74-83 range, I suspect the spawn is about over and if so, Mother Nature did her job and protected them at their most vulnerable point.

Cranking is just around the corner!

U

Speck is online now MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s a nice mess of fish Robbie. Congrats on a fine day with your dad and especially the tagged fish.
    P.S. It IS cranking time

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Post, You talked about getting to close, went to Truman about a month ago and fished below the Dam, got there early maybe 3 boats total, started catching fish and looked around and there must have been 30 boats and so close my 14' rods almost became 12', this all took place in 1 1/2 hour ( had my limit ) and left. NEVER AGAIN !
    I Don't Know,but I can always use help
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report and pictures, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Good report Robbie good to hear from you guys. Thats why I carry extra bumpers on board so they can tie off to me and I let them use their elec motor. And who knows they might have a spotted cow or two to share!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

WTG guys you always figure out how to getrdone! good job sticking to your size limit and letting so many get back at it. Know a couple of buddies who launched same day from same ramp and they caught almost nothing so kudo's to you two.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. Indeed, it was a much needed and enjoyed day on the water for us! Be on the lookout for the Crankfest 2019 posting.......it's getting close!

U
    Likes ripnlips, mac LIKED above post
    Thanks hdhntr thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a lot of fun. Never caught a tagged fish. Something to look forward to.

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught some tagged at MTL about 25-30 years ago. Turned the tags in I believe they were $20.00 each still have the checks they sent me.
    Jig & Ellie are my green headed corn grinder finders.

R.I.P Jig dog