Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fished a new water 5/11 I hadn't been to in 56 years as a boy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fished a new water 5/11 I hadn't been to in 56 years as a boy

Back when my parents took my brother and me to a lake that had swimming, a picnic area and a roller skating rink, I didn't have a clue about fishing and didn't even know the various species. Many years later the area is unrecognizable and completely overgrown with trees, now taken over by the park commission.

The first priority, other than catching fish, was to find out everything I could about the lake's bottom using sonar along the shoreline. Here's a satellite view :

The lake's not as big as I remembered as a kid but it took all day to note the various depths, bottom types and areas that held fish all of which held many surprises. The extensive flat to the west (left side of photo) was uniformly 3' until I came to inflow channels which dropped to 5' and then back up. I couldn't be sure what stage the crappie spawn was in considering the water temperature was still only in the 50's (unusually low for May), but I did catch small crappie and sunfish fan casting everywhere in 3'.

Shorelines to the north had very steep drops into 15' and drops out from the southern shore, some areas holding small crappie schools where I caught five or more crappy per spot. Only one crappie was of a legal size indicating illegal harvesting over the years with no enforcement of creel or size limit regulations. Even the bass were on the small side and only 4 were caught of the 29 fish boated using small lures.

example of the sunfish caught:

Next bottom survey will be of the middle depths. Another row boat angler was fishing mostly in the middle which possibly indicates deep water structure worth noting.

I can't say I was disappointed in that the lake is 15 minutes from my house, peaceful, quiet and a future challenge finding quality fish, as well as testing my new soft plastic creations. The hits were hard regardless the fish striking and fun nonetheless.

It will also be nice having the whole place to myself during the week when everyone is working.
    Likes S10CHEVY, USMA65, Crestliner08, Jman5626, INDyak LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

[/QUOTE] Only one crappie was of a legal size indicating illegal harvesting over the years with no enforcement of creel or size limit regulations. Even the bass were on the small side and only 4 were caught of the 29 fish boated using small lures.[/QUOTE]

Nice story. Thanks for sharing. Sounds more like a stunted crappie and bass population. Not enough harvest. You make ask who ever manages the lake what the size structure looks like from sampling.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Matt Schroeder - AGFC - (877)470-3309 - [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

You make ask who ever manages the lake what the size structure looks like from sampling.
    ??

That's part of the problem - no one manages it after the state took it over. If the dam isn't fixed because of no funding, the lake will be no more.

Post Thanks / Like

there may be several things going on , the state may want it to revert to a wetland and not be a water body ? and its likely the fish are overpopulated in a small lake unless there is a terribly high amount of fisher folks visiting it ….but non the less it always nice to revisit old haunts for sure …..
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

But even with overpopulation, I would have expected at least some legal size fish. I'm also not seeing many weeds on the shallow flats which is essential for spawn fish to survive. The lakes I've fished that had an overpopulation of stunted fish always had a large amount of weeds - especially seasonal spring weeds that die off in late spring. But a reduced average annual harvest doesn't always equate to stunted fish due to an over population. There are a number of larger and smaller lakes I fish where the quality and quantity is outstanding yet restricted access keeps those fish free from harvest. What's more, in one lake the bass are rarely over 2 lbs, but the pan fish are incredible in size!

The reasons for stunted fish or quality fish are many and unique for different waters. The state just stocked more crappie and bass in a lake that has too many crappie near 9" or less, few decent sunfish and bass rarely over 2 lbs. In this case continued stunting seems more than likely even though the public harvests quite a bit annually - legally and illegally.

Post Thanks / Like

Was just giving an opinion. Take it or leave it. No offense meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Matt Schroeder - AGFC - (877)470-3309 - [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Was just giving an opinion. Take it or leave it. No offense meant.
    None taken.
    I have always wondered why lakes differ in fish quality and quantity though biologists and anglers are ready with their reasons.
    Just no sure how anyone could confirm the real reasons for the difference with proof.

Post Thanks / Like

show me some of the crappie from there , I could tell better if I could see some of them
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    show me some of the crappie from there , I could tell better if I could see some of them
    Will do next time I fish there and with a ruler next to the fish.