HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling crankbaits off front of boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling crankbaits off front of boat?

Is it necessary to pull cranks out the back of the boat or can you effectively pull off the front? I’d like to try but only have rod holders on the front on my boat, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a thing wrong with it. Just need to get good line separation. Actually would rather pull from front than back. Makes boat a little more stable and easier to control. Fish sure don’t know where you are pulling from.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, it’s a new technique for me

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

No, not "necessary" !! And if you want/need to make tighter turns and/or have less line out, add weight to the main line a few feet ahead of your cranks (ie "Pushing" ).
    And as Cray has pointed out .... line separation is a key factor in keeping your lines from crossing &/or becoming entangled. And I would add that line separation in depths at which your cranks are running is also helpful. (as in keeping the forwardmost crank running the deepest, then slightly shallower on each following crank) That way you not only cover a horizontal swath of water, but a vertical one.
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great info, thanks, I’ll be starting out pulling only 4 rods, 2-10pst and 2-14’s pst with linecounter reels, I figure that will be plenty for me starting out

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

My partner and I pull them all the time. I'm at the front running trolling motor pulling 16 and 12 ft. rods with cranks and he's at he back pulling 8's and 4ft rods. Normal operation for us.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappiekeeper10 View Post
    Great info, thanks, I’ll be starting out pulling only 4 rods, 2-10pst and 2-14’s pst with linecounter reels, I figure that will be plenty for me starting out

I agree .... I'm still a newbie on Pushing cranks, myself, so I limit my spread to 4 rods as well (and that includes Pushing jigs, too).
    Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I pull off the front.... I run a 18’ 14’10’and 6’ rods for separation.... long as you don’t make sharp turns it all works good! I have separate trolling rack bases behind my front seats and just place them there and sit in the front seats and pull from there

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Brewer View Post
    I pull off the front.... I run a 18’ 14’10’and 6’ rods for separation.... long as you don’t make sharp turns it all works good! I have separate trolling rack bases behind my front seats and just place them there and sit in the front seats and pull from there

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Do exactly the same as Erin. One thing I do is run a longer line on the longer poles, like on the 18 I run 70, the 14 run 60, the 10 run 50 and the 6 run 40. If you are targeting a certain depth run a 200 series bait on the long poles and a 300 on the shorter poles. Doing this I can turn 90 degrees, when it straightens out turn 90 again and you are heading the other way. One thing that really helps in turns is speeding up a tad.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes Slabprowler, Dutch552 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast