HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best Lure for bottom jigging?

Post Thanks / Like

Default best Lure for bottom jigging?

I fish from bank typically shallow up to 15’. What lure/plastic do you use for bottom jigging? This is spot where most crappies concentrated in the evening, 50’ long dock plus 3 big tunnels that connect two body of water. I normally catch tiny ones but once awhile I’ll get some big one.
    Here a clip from a few days ago.
    Likes 8fishermen LIKED above post
    Thanks hdhntr thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice video.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Just_Bass LIKED above post

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

use a ultra light 6 lb or 4 lb line with a 1/16 or 1/32 jig .fish the shady side or under the dock
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Great video nice crappie looks like you doing really good with what is working good already.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes Just_Bass, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

This BFS system really has me interested. Enjoyed watching video. Thanks
    Thanks cva34 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great Vid...looks like we need to be askin'n what JIG!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Your cast & retrieve, short sweeps & randomly timed pops with the rod tip seems to be working

Whenever I'm working the "bottom" ... I'm most likely to be using a 1/16oz weedless jighead & plastics, with a short distance "lift & drop" retrieve (kinda like "plastic worm fishing" for Bass).

As far as "plastics", I'm kinda partial to Slabanator Jigs Mini Rod & Shad bodies, Panfish Assassin Tiny Shad bodies, or Mr Crappie Thunder Tubes for my cast/retrieve baits.
    Slabanator Mini Rods are a "carrot" shaped plastic ... & the Shad body is a Shad/minnow shaped plastic
    Panfish Assassin Tiny Shad are a "fry" shaped plastic ("fry" as in baby fish)
    Mr Crappie Thunder Tubes are solid body tube baits with expanded "skirt" (as opposed to most other tube baits having a skirt that's straight and no wider than the head of the tube)
    Thanks Just_Bass, hdhntr thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I have tried a few thing but seem Bobby garland baby shad get the most bite no matter on plain 1/16-1/24 jig head or 1/16oz roadrunner. Other like tube or crappie magnet not work as good. I have a few more coming like baby shad swim, mo glo baby shad and some striking thunder. I tried up size my plastics to something bigger like tiny fluke and Zman swimz but so far no luck. I mostly use 1/16 and 1/24oz jig head but the area that big one hang out is about 100’ away which is tough for this small lure to get to spot, I might have to give kastmaster a try next.
    Likes Fred39, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Might try to up size. Like a 1/4 oz roadrunner and maybe a larger profile in the bait as a Beaver Bottom. I have found these will catch larger crappie.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Bass View Post
    Thanks I have tried a few thing but seem Bobby garland baby shad get the most bite no matter on plain 1/16-1/24 jig head or 1/16oz roadrunner. Other like tube or crappie magnet not work as good. I have a few more coming like baby shad swim, mo glo baby shad and some striking thunder. I tried up size my plastics to something bigger like tiny fluke and Zman swimz but so far no luck. I mostly use 1/16 and 1/24oz jig head but the area that big one hang out is about 100’ away which is tough for this small lure to get to spot, I might have to give kastmaster a try next.
    Have you tried lighter line on a wide spool spinning reel to see if you can get greater casting distances ?? Although, whatever that rod/reel outfit you are using seems to be casting a pretty good distance with those light lures ... and a baitcast reel, at that !!

You seem to be catching only Black Crappie, so am I to assume that's the only Crappie specie in that lake ... or just in that particular area of the lake ?? Black Crappie are more apt to eat crustaceans and bugs (along with minnow species) than a White Crappie ... so have you tried any plastics that resemble crawfish or bugs ?? I only ask because there's a small lake in KY that was originally stocked with Black Crappie, and I've caught many of them on a 1.5" Southern Pro Crappie Craw.
    Thanks hdhntr thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast