Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about waders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions about waders

I've been wading without anything other than my shorts and shirt and a basket.

I want to buy some waders so guys give me info on what I need.

Boots and Waders? What kind of waders or boots? any special tacklebox or fanny pack I should take out when I do it?

Please help!

Post Thanks / Like

I prefur neopreen waders. They are more durable and flexable allowing you to move around better. I bought a great backpack/frontpack from Bass Pro Shops and I use a stringer with a hook on one end and a float on the other.

Here is a couple of pics 1st one you can see the stringer and float tube. 2nd one you can see the waders. Sorry I do not have one of the pack and it is up at the cabin so I can't take one now. I hope this helps some.

Post Thanks / Like

That does help thanks.

Everybody has told me Neoprene. Guess that's what I'll have to get.

Reckon Wal-Mart has any?

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought mine at Wal-Mart. 3.5 mm neopreme (green). these are the ones made with the boots on them. $79.99 They are perfect for spring wading. I used to have some 5 mm but you had to be dang near naked in 'em or you would burn up!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

how do they get the right boot size with the right size of waders? Is it a one size fits all kinda thing?

Post Thanks / Like

They are kinda proportionate to the boot size. I wear a size 12 boot and I weigh in at a petit 247 lbs! Make sure that the boot is not too tight just in case you want to wear some heavy wader socks. Don't be bashful, try 'em on in the store!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

sometimes, depending on your build, the boot sizes and the wader sizes don't quite go together... some of us like to be prepared for anything so we carry around a spare tire everywhere we go

Anyhow, for folks like me, I ended up going to BPS where they have a "Big Man" series neoprene waders so I could get the boot size (10) I needed and still fit over my spare tire (tractor tire - lol).

If you've got lots of $$$ and live where it doesn't get real cold, the new "breathable" waders are the hot ticket. I'm in NY - AND I can't afford 'em, so neoprene is perfect for me.

You can also get sock foot waders in more sizes, but that means you'lll need to buy separate wading boots. Cleated soles for mud or sand bottom. felt soles for rocky bottom waters.

Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself a fishing vest like the trout guys wear. You can carry everything you need in all the different pockets so you won't need a tackle box.

I also prefer neoprene over the less expensive rubber waders.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." --Patrick F MacManus

Post Thanks / Like

NEOPRENE...for a couple of different reasons...
    First, I find that they are harder to fill with water, especially with a wading belt, making it a much safer deal to fish with.
    Second, you can get 3.5mm, which will allow you to feel that they are "breathing" a little. Cheap rubber ones get HOT!
    Third, they are form-fitting, and easier to move around in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit
    They are kinda proportionate to the boot size. I wear a size 12 boot and I weigh in at a petit 247 lbs! Make sure that the boot is not too tight just in case you want to wear some heavy wader socks. Don't be bashful, try 'em on in the store!
    AND, find the most petite, little female employ to help you pull them on. That is funny. I've done it, and I am 6'2", 300-lbs. My friends bet me that I wouldn't do it. Needless-to-say, I didn't have to pay for my lunch, and we ate a buffet!:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast