Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish from tournaments

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish from tournaments

So I watch the crappie masters & the american crappie trail tournaments on tv. I was under the assumption that all the fish caught were returned to the lake after weigh in. This weekend I was lucky enough to have been on a fishing trip on Rend Lake so decided to go to weigh in on Saturday. I have never been to one. So just wondering what does happen to all those fish ?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

most tournaments rules say that all fish WEIGHED IN must be alive and returned to the water.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes shipahoy41, Hanr3 LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good question. I have to assume those crappie all went to some sort of charity. Somebody had a bunch of cleaning to do. We wondered what Mr Green Jeans would have said.
    The other tournament weigh-ins I’ve been to, the fish immediately went back into the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one for you:

A few years back, I was fishing a walleye tournament in Sault Ste Marie Michigan. Although this tournament doesn't have a dead fish penalty, we do get about a 98% return rate to the water.

I come up behind the stage for weigh in on day one and I'm met by the president of the event. She tells me it will be a few minutes as TV crews are setting up. She then asks if I plan to keep the fish. Although we have that option, no one does unless we have dying fish.

She then explains that the local native American tribe was there to collect ALL of our catch. It would be taken to the elders. I asked (very loudly) why they didn't catch their own fish. Afterall, they can spear, net, and there isn't a season or limit for them. I was then advised that they didn't want THEIR fish returned to THEIR river.

I'll save all additional thoughts, feelings, and comments. I will say that EVERY angler kept their fish on day one and the group didn't return on day two.
    Likes USMA65, fiveeyes LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wumimeya woglake Lakota oyate

Post Thanks / Like

Their logic is underwhelming at times ;-), hence, talking in circles.
    Y' all did the right thing with the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie masters in the past a lot have been taken home. With the act, their goal is to return all fish to the lake via a release boat. The fish go right from weigh in into the release boats oxygenated tanks, then released after weigh in back into the lake.
    Likes 1187mg, shipahoy41, Jman5626 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well these fish were being dumped in plastic totes so I am going to assume they went to charity. I was just surprised to see that. Not that I'm against giving to charity. Just thought they went back in lakes they were fishing at. Thanks for all the feedback !

Sent from my SM-G892A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

The plastic totes are used at most weigh in`s it is the quickest way to get fish weighed and back into the fish bags and release boat with the least amount of stress at least around here..

Post Thanks / Like

We use totes as well. We don't use weigh in bags because our catch is too big.

Our system: we have totes with holes in them on the end of the docks. About 3 numbers before yours, you transfer fish from livewell to tote. You carry the tote to a tub. These are stock tanks with water constantly running in and out. When you go on stage, you pull your tote drain the water and head up. Immediately after, they are given to an official.

Depending on the body of water, a fenced drop site is setup and fish are put in it to slowly recover. Any that struggle are put in an oxygen rich tank for recoup time. Some sites we use a fish ladder to transfer from bank to lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast