HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappies / line shy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappies / line shy?

Are crappies really line shy?
    I have read a lot of post recommended 4-6 lb line and a lot use hi-vis line. I need some suggestions regarding line. Sorry I’m pretty new to crappie fishing and I’ve already use search function but still can’t decide.
    I usually cast and reel, sometimes horizontal jigging and bobbers at night. I have used light blue 4lb izorline, 10lb white braid line and green 18lb gliss line. I don’t use any leader and all seem to catch fish. I plan to switch to 6lb copolymer line and I’m not sure if that is a good idea. I fish mostly from bank around rip-rap. Would hi-vis line give me more advantages over clear line?

Post Thanks / Like

I been using hi vis mono for years 4 6 & 8 lb, Stren, Mr Crappie, Vicious, it's personal preference - I mainly vertical jig for crappie but cast alot also. Try em all braid etc.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes trypman1, Blackhawk19 LIKED above post
    Thanks Just_Bass thanked you for this post

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

In the past I have fished with 8 # hi-vis mono, I currently am fishing with 20 # soft braid. I have caught large numbers of crappie with both. I used the hi-vis to make it easier for me to see line movement, not for the crappie.

So my experience has been that the line does not bother crappie.

As to fishing method, sometimes I use jigging, sometimes I use cast and reel, sometimes I use cast out, hold the rod tip high and let the jig return to the vertical position. I prefer jigging but experiment each time to see what the crappie prefer.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid. -Ben Franklin
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Any day I'm fishing is a good day, regardless of what I catch.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been using braid for the last 5 years.
    My home lake has visibility of 4foot to 15 feet.
    Braid doesn’t seem to bother the bite.
    Cast n drag, Vertical casting, single pole jigging.
    I’m using 2/12, high vis yellow.
    The reason I switched to braid was for sensitivity, when catching them deep (45 feet) in the winter time.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

My 64 years of hard fishing experience, has proven to me that line color does not bother any fish. Now- line size can be another issue. Light line gives better action to most jigs and smaller baits. My 2cts.

Post Thanks / Like

I was out-fished the other day by my daughter. I was using 4 lb high viz and she was using 15 lb high viz braid. Both using same lures. 1/8 white roadrunners. The difference, crappie seemed to want to hit after the lure broke clear of the brush. I broke off in the brush, the braid pulled clear and then they hit.
    Likes trypman1, silverside LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm an old school student of structure fishing by Buck Perry. Back in the 60's he advocated that all choices (of fishing equipment), with regards to fishing success, should be predicated upon the only two controls that matter to achieving that success - depth & speed control. He did that with his lure and his line. It was his contention that you should choose your line based not on color, or pound test rating, but rather on it's diameter and it's resistance to water. That way you control the depth as well as the speed of your presentation.

Regardless of the species I've fished for.....and it has been many......I've always kept this premise in mind. And it has led me to many successful fishing trips. All that being said, how does that answer your question?

If you use 15# test line, your lure or presentation will only go as deep as the diameter of that line allows, with regards to it's resistance while you retrieve your cast. Quite a different depth achievement would be realized if you were using 2# test line, with the same lure and retrieve. So you can see that diameter does matter. And it depends upon what you hope to achieve.

Does the fish care? Neither I, nor Buck Perry, believe that fish do care. Line is just another tool in your box to build a successful fishing trip. If you are fishing brush and heavy cover or weeds, obviously you will need a heavier test line to allow that kind of presentation. If you are fishing more open water, this would allow you to decrease the pound rating on your line - in order for you to achieve the greatest flexibility with regards to depth & speed control.

Casting distance is a whole 'nuther matter. Obviously, if you bank bound, you will want to achieve the greatest casting distance. In many years of fishing, I believe the advent of braided lines (of ultra small diameter) have yielded, for me, the greatest casting distances I could ever expect to achieve, even 15 years ago.

However, using braid has it's drawbacks. Most significant is the fact that it is very poor when it comes to abrasion resistance. Therefore, I believe you need a leader (preferably fluorocarbon) to help with that short fall. Especially if you are fishing heavy cover. Fluorocarbon lines are very abrasion resistant, thereby allowing you to fish longer, with fewer re-ties to your lure and fewer lost fish.

I do hope I have not confused you more in this presentation, but I also believe that many anglers give less attention to the lines they are using than what they should. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Redge, trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I use...

8lb-10lb Hi Vis Vicious mono for spider rigging
    10lb-15lb Hi Vis Power Pro braid casting jigs and slip bobber
    20lb-25lb Hi Vis Power Pro braid vertical jigging/dipping structure (heavy action long pole)

I have found the need to use a leader.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toby from MO View Post
    Here is what I use...

8lb-10lb Hi Vis Vicious mono for spider rigging
    10lb-15lb Hi Vis Power Pro braid casting jigs and slip bobber
    20lb-25lb Hi Vis Power Pro braid vertical jigging/dipping structure (heavy action long pole)

I have found the need to use a leader.
    Oops...supposed to say "I have found no need to use a leader."

Post Thanks / Like

No you are not confused me at all and I do agree with you 100% from my experience of using 3 line above. I like glissline a lot, it cast great, very small diameter for 18lb, I can feel even tiny nib from small crappies but frayed so easily, I’m not talking only rock bottom but it just frayed out from regular fishing.
    What other superline would you guys recommend, I have experienced with regular power pro braid and j-braid x8.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast