Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Color-C-Lector???

Post Thanks / Like

Question Color-C-Lector???

Color-C-Lector

I remember many years ago they came out with this unit and seemed to kind of flop and now that company is out of business. I believe that unit was really pushed to the bass fisherman community. That's probably why it didn't do very well.
    I have never used one of these units but it seems to me that it would be perfectly suited for the crappie fisherman. Crappie are notorious for being very color oriented. Makes sense to me.

Now spike-it has re-made the unit in digital form for around $90.

Have any of you had any experience these units? What's your take?

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Yup. I used one for a while. It's just like most any other fishing gimmick, some days it'd work, some days it wouldn't. But then if I hadn't been using one, some days I would have caught fish, and some I wouldn't.

Spend your time with your string in the water instead of messing with gimmicks. It'll pay off.

The two best fish finding tools we have are (1)Our brain, and (2)a pole. Figure out how to use them and you're catches will be far above the rest.

'Carpe Diem' does not mean "fish of the day."

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappie1 i have one of the old ones and havent used it in a while as i usealey use minnows . i read a articlkle on that a while back . cant remember where . if i can find it i will try to post it here . it could be a ole post on this forum .
    this fisherman and son was fishing and tried the cdolor that it showed at 12 ft. where the most fish showed on his finder . didnt work . when he went in to the marina to gitlunch he heard a fisherman talking and said they cought them on a certin color and when he went back he tride the color celector again ane the depth that the color those fellows wer using was 4 ft . so the feeding fish wer 4 ft, and the 12 ft . wer not in a feeding mode . so the color isent the onley thing you considor . first find the depth that the feeding fish are at and use that color. if you show fish at different depths use the color for that depth . i will take mine the next time i go and try that . if it still works . atleast i can tell the temp of the water at different depths . papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Almost forgot..........Mine was one of those real nice ones with the pH and case and all. It did have one very good quality......................I sold it for $3 at a garage sale and it made me very happy.

I bet it'll make the guy that bought it from me very happy too when he sells it for $2.

'Carpe Diem' does not mean "fish of the day."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Attitude
    Almost forgot..........Mine was one of those real nice ones with the pH and case and all. It did have one very good quality......................I sold it for $3 at a garage sale and it made me very happy.

I bet it'll make the guy that bought it from me very happy too when he sells it for $2.

Same unit sold for $47.50 on 1-27-2005 on Ebay. Not to me as I didn't bid.
    Money better spent on bait. Smoe yard sale buyer very happy.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried one of the older ones too. What a waste of money!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't bother either.....my fishing partner has one and we have yet to break that baby out...in fact it is in a box packed up at his house somewhere...he might be selling it at a yard sale soon....ha ha!!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I have had "both" ...

the "Color-C-Lector" and the "Combo-C-Lector" ...... sold the Color-C-Lector a long time ago. Still have the "Combo" unit (temp/ph/color), but very seldom use it.
    I found a couple of things out, when I did use the "combo" unit often -- one thing was, that I spent entirely too much time "checking" and not enough time "casting" :rolleyes: .... the other was, that since most of the waters I fish are stained (at about the same degree), I found that two color combinations were dominating in the depths I fish ... blue/char & black/blue Well - I can only say that I do have quite a bit of good luck, using blue/char :D - but that could just be because I use it so much and so often (???) That, and because blue is visible at depths and chartreuse is visible in most water clarities, is the main reason I started using blue/char in the first place ....LOL!! (it also doesn't hurt that there are silver metal flakes in the blue body of the tube I use so often).

This discussion came up on the Bill Dance Outdoors forum, several years back (and several times since) ... I saw people buying used units (complete & partial) on E-Bay - and paying up to around $80 for them !! I'm not completely sure - but, I don't think I paid that much for mine - NEW (when they first came out). The general concensus on the BDO site (from the "semi-pros" and guides and most other "knowledgeable" anglers) was that it wasn't particularly useful (except maybe for those that wanted a "quick fix" to the learning curve on color selection, and a "built-in excuse" for not catching fish, and in some cases an "excuse" FOR catching something ....LOL!!).

History repeats itself - what goes around, comes around again ... maybe in a few years down the road, other people will be asking about "those color selecting units" that the "oldtimers" used to use. Me ... I'll still be throwing my blue/char tube (and probably still catching fish) ... I hope so, anyway. ......luck2ya .....cp

Post Thanks / Like

I had toyed with the idea of buying a combo unit, not so much for the PH readings, but for the depth thermometer. If anyone has a link to a good depth thermometer, I sure would appreciate knowing about it. I could really benefit from accurate temp readings at the depth fish are holding at.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
    I had toyed with the idea of buying a combo unit, not so much for the PH readings, but for the depth thermometer. If anyone has a link to a good depth thermometer, I sure would appreciate knowing about it. I could really benefit from accurate temp readings at the depth fish are holding at.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Tim, I used to have a brass one that you could lower to any depth and get a reading. I think I got it from Cabelas.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va