Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switch to braid?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Switch to braid?

With my eyes and age I like the 6 lb hi-vis yellow but lately I am drop-shotting for panfish with light to medium 6-7 ft poles and bait casters think I might switch to braid. What lb tess and can I get braid in hi vis colors. Also do regular clippers or nippers work and how well do the crimp on split shot work. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I use Power Pro Hi Vis braid. You will need scissors made to cut braid...regular scissors and nips generally won't work. On my casting rods I use 10-15lb...I believe these have a 4-6lb equivalent diameter. On my long pole dipping rods I will use 20-25lb.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Power Pro Super Slick in 10/2 and don't have any troubles, but at times when the lake gets really clear I get the feeling there may be some issue with line shy fish.
    However most of the time I love the braid! Maybe I should try a smaller line too, not sure. I have been using this for a long time now.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I started out using braid in about 1966! Still have that same line on that same old Zebco direct drive reel. Haven't a clue why, I don't use it anymore and only used a braid one time since; that stuff really hard to tie and get a knot to hold. Guy's using braid, what is the reason for that?

Post Thanks / Like

I drop shot crappies all the time. Braid as main line and then i put on fluro or copolymer line

Palomar knots and aberdeen hooks size #2 or #4 depending what i am fishing for. I even go up to size 1/0 for big slabs when i fish for places where bass are abundant.

Tightlines!
    Likes SpeckledSlab, fiveeyes, MCG1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We use Fireline Crystal in 2# test for the main line with a 4# test fluorocarbon leader. Fireline does make a "flame green" line, but in 4# test and up only. I just find that the 2# test casts light jigs a lot further and makes for a great drop shot option to boot.

If you try ANY braid, you will never go back to single filament lines again. They are far more sensitive than any other lines. (And get yourself a "Boomerang" cutting tool for the braid.) There are many manufactures of braided lines out there. Most will do the job and most are just a matter of preference on the part of the individual fisherman.

If you do go the braid route, do use a fluorocarbon leader. Braid is not abrasion resistant. Which is one of the parameters, so outstanding, of fluorocarbon lines. And the limited stretch of the fluoro assists in not breaking off on your hook set. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes SpeckledSlab, Cropduster1968, MCG1 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Fiskar Child Size Scissors to cut braid ... inexpensive & cuts braid "blunt" across the tag end (which makes for an easier time poking the braid thru the small jig hook eye)

I also recommend having a wood dowel handy ... to use to wrap the braid around should you become hung up & need to pull the bait free or bend the hook open. I DON'T recommend using your hands/fingers , or even rod handles of cork or foam, as the braid can & will CUT YOU and can cut into the cork/foam of rod handles.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info on Braid, think I better look up the proper knots for it and put some copies in my tackle boxes!

Post Thanks / Like

Double Palomar knot works great on braid, Fireline or Nanofil.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RM Fishin View Post
    Thanks for the info on Braid, think I better look up the proper knots for it and put some copies in my tackle boxes!
    You will need to learn how to tie an Alberto knot to join your leader to the end of the braid. It appears daunting at first, but with a little bit of practice, it's easy as cake to me now. Best part is, it's not really a knot, but rather a braid of joining lines. Very slim knot and very reliable.

Others prefer the Uni to Uni knot but I dislike the noise it makes clicking through the guides. A reliable knot but bulkier. JMO.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes crp4570 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast