Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: bank fishing for a rookie

Post Thanks / Like

Default bank fishing for a rookie

Hey guys Ive been around a couple of months only a couple posts mostly just reading and learning., So here goes I have a pond near me maybe 10 acres give or take its public, but no boats allowed. I live in illinois by the way. anyway my only real choice is bank fishing so comes the minnow vs jig question. There is a couple of docks I can fish a jig off of but in the past at this place I've had great luck with twister tails and minnows, but Im feeling kind of left out without a boat, I mean Ive got other spots to go but then its borrow a boat or rent one... you know what I mean. So should I feel left out or can I still work a jig from the bank, just trying to get it out past a drop off? Any other suggestions for a primarly bank fisherman? By the way Im no pro but I was reading in crappie magazine about putting the palm of your hand under the line to lift and lower very slowly and Ive actually had some luck with that off of a dock, You really are moving the jig fast when you use your pole I realized it when I put my hand on the line and moved it that way. One more thing- As the water temps go up do the fish go deeper or how does that go, 2 guys told me today at this pond to fish 4/5foot I was getting them at 3 but theres were much bigger they were using minnows too. probablly too many questions but I gotta ask, - Joel

Post Thanks / Like

Joel, try using a bobber. Cast out and retrieve it slow, giving it a little jerk now and then. Vary the speed of the retrieve until you find the speed they like. I use mostly jig heads with Bass Pro's Squirming Squirts.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Keep reading Crappie magazine. Lots of great tips there as well as in this forum. There is a great thread here titled jigs under a float. KCBH from Kansas City Mo. Posted this “HAVE YOU EVER USED THIS FOR CRAPPIE?” It is in the archives under stuff we don’t want to lose. I made me some and they work exceptionally well.

This technique is great for fishing from a bank. Usually water is less than 6-7 feet and the jig under a float works well. I just added to the thread about an idea I saw on this forum for a weighted bobber for lite biters. Gives you additional casting distance too.

Another thread is "Using your noodle for Carolina rigging." That is a modified Carolina Rig set up for fishing Crappie deep and away from the bank.

old ship
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Joel,

Like others have said, try a jig under a float.

Also, if you're anywhere near Chicago, contact these guys:

http://www.geocities.com/fishcba/

They bank fish exclusively with floats. You will learn a LOT.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a float tube! they are cheap and will get you out to where the fish are, and even to spots where boats cant get too!:D

What is in my bucket today?
    http://mtbucket.blogspot.com/

Rrrrrr...I am on the lake, and thats all the crappies need to know!

Michael Thompson
    Gem Kids Fishing Camp and Club
    www.gemfishing.org

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dont worry about it

I'll say this until the water gets into the 80 your good from the bank. You just have to learn the place your fishing and the fish patterns. I would get a pair of boots, or waders but watch your step. Also the float and jig or minnow. Sometimes I will use a slip cork without a stop knot just to get my jig way out there then reel slowly. But the main thing is learn the fish patterns when they move you move, also find a couple more spots/ places to fish. They may move deeper in the pond, but maybe on the river they may still be under the bridge. Regardless practice makes perfect.

Be blessed
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with these guys. I used to fish a pond back home in Missouri from the bank and the only way I could catch a large quntity was to use a slip float and two 1/32 oz jig heads. I used the Bass Pro tubes and had a blast. You should start picking up better and more fish since the bait will stay in the strike zone as long/short as you want it to.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

i disagree to an extent. I shore fish exclusively (lack of $$ for boat) and I use jigs 95% of the time. Cast into wind chopped waters and feel the fish. Or you can look for structure and target outward in when fishing it. Also I like to parallel the shore on retrieve gradually going from a shallow to deeper area each time until I find where the fish are at. If i want to watch a bobber I'll go during the winter and use minnows. For me, this is an exciting way to find fish locations and be productive while beating the shore. Too often sitting in one place leaves a skunk on the tally for fish that day. by moving around and casting to points you think may hold fish teaches you valuable lessons you can apply when boating later. You can vary the speed of retrieve by the amount of jighead weight and plastic together ex.:

a 1/16th jighead with a slider casts like a missle and retrieves faster or fouls the bottom

the same jighead with a hollow tube falls slowly and can be brought back with a slower retrieve.

I use 8th oz jigs on windier days or bulkier plastics. I also only use 4# test on both a 5 ft and 6ft one piece spinning rods. HTH and have fun regardless of how you choose to tackle the prospect of shore fishin.

the next generation of slabhunters

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing for me has been brutal for the last couple of days, it was great early in the week. Here is my next question- This pond I fish is anywhere from 1foot deep at the shore line to what I think is around 10 foot or more. I dont know where A lot of structures are so I try to fish around some trees and stuff like that 3or 4 foot deep. would I be better off casting out farther and deeper or is it just that time of year? and as far as a 2 jig set up anybody got a picture of there actual one they can show. and how deep should I be fishing these jigs and how fast too retreive very very slow? I was told once that if the water is a little choppy its enough movement for the crappie. So many questions, so many crappie. I'll say one thing its hard to get away from the minnow, I know I should try jigs more but its hard to change, I just cant wait till I only wanna use jigs. -Joel