Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heading out this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone heading out this weekend?

I will be going somewhere this weekend with my Son. I am up in the air between Chick river, James river or Lake Moomaw (for a first). Any suggestions? Sunday looks to be a bit overcast may be better of the 2 days. Yes I know its superbowl sunday , but we both have the itch! Anyone up for it this weekend? :D

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Crash, I am going to hit the James on Sunday. Setting up the boat for this Crappie thing. Got my spider rig on the front. Going to the barge pit to test my trolling speed on each level with GPS and watch how my down lines act. If it warms up some I plan to take my son, a friend and his son out for a short trip.

Going to go next weekend and look for perch on the Chick. I haven't heard anything yet.

Thinking about a new trolling motor, but there sure is a lot to choose from. It might take me forever to decide. I need to try a Minnkoto power drive/auto pilot and see how that works.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

The weekend is looking even better as I checked this morning, sunday should be 54 and partly cloudy. We were supposed to go to Georgia for my son to race this weekend but looks like theve had too much water between the ice and all the rain they just got. Im still not sure where we will go yet this weekend where would you think I may have better luck this early for Jr.? The Chick or the James. The barge pit does sound good I have done alot of early season bass fishing there in the past. But at the same time I have done well on the Chick early season for perch and slabs. Hmmmmm decisions, decisions!

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, I would love a report on any perch in the Chick. That is my plan for next Saturday (12th). Just trying to get the boat straight this weekend and give the two little guys a boat ride.

Got to do something. Let me know what decide.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

I may try and get to Morris Creek on the Chick this weekend. Saturday is the first time my 16 year old son will try and play soccer since breaking his ankle in a match on October 16 and having surgery to insert pins on December 1 and my 13 year old son has two indoor soccer games on Sunday. I need to see if my wife can cover one of those events.

The trolling motor (reconditioned MK PowerDrive 50PD from Cabelas) for the front of my boat is scheduled to be delivered today. You know I'm going to have to install that thing and give it a try.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranger, I may be in a position to offer you or anyone a heck of a deal on a year old MinnKota 65lb trolling motor. Its the PDAP with built in transducer and a Lowrance X-97. I'll know in a week or so. I've got a physical problem and need something that will be easier for me to deploy/retrieve.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Last year this time we put out at Rockahock and went downriver about a mile and fished just outside of the first set of piers on the left. We brought back 48 crappies between the 2 of us. We had several 14 inchers in the bunch.
    We slow trolled with corks and the jig color did not seem to matter as long as there was a minnow attached to it.
    There were probably 20 boats around us and we were the only ones trolling with 8 poles out. Most everybody was anchored and casting jigs. When the bite turned on we got some disgusted looks and even a few negative comments about our tecnique. (jealousy is a terrible thing)
    The next week we went back and would you believe most everyone had new rod holders and were trolling with 8 poles out.
    I have not been this year yet but would like to see a report if you guys try it. Good Luck!
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, keep me in mind with the trolling motor. I might be interested. I have start working on some funds from my wife! But she is usually really good about that.

How do you like the AP?

Dayton

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranger, the AP is the only way to go. It really frees you up to do other things and not have to keep a constant eye on where you are going. I'm looking real close at the new Motor Guide PTSv trolling motors. They are expensive, but I haven't been able to come up with anything else that will fill the bill. (whoa, I made a funny) My wife said I should get it, so its just a matter of me looking a little more.

Brad, where is the Rockahock?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, Rockahock is a marina and campground on the Chick. River right next to the dam. Walker's Dam?
    I can't tell you the road names but just West of the entrance to Diascund on Rt. 60 there is an old convenience store that is painted all blue. If your'e heading West you would turn left right beside the store, go 2 or 3 miles and you will be at the ramp.
    The first day I went we were in the blue store buying minnows to go to Diascund when the guy that runs the store suggested the Chick. and even told me where to launch my boat and where to fish. I'm glad I kept the outboard on the boat that day.

Needless to say, I never go by that store without stopping in to buy a little something whether I need it or not. If anyone knows the name and number for that store we could call and get an honest fishing report. How about it guys?
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast