HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Defeated by unexpected bait

Post Thanks / Like

Default Defeated by unexpected bait

Took a friend to the Chowan river in eastern NC 5/2 hoping to catch white perch. Fished hard but we were not catching fish. Water slight stain at 73 degrees . At about 3pm we went into a creek that is actually a tail race creek coming out of a mill pond up above it. Creek is only about 150 yards long between mill house and the main river. Water depth about 5 to 9 feet. We threw red wigglers and I threw several crappie jigs in all popular colors. My buddy eventually tied on a Walmart Ozark Trail inline spinner and I thought it was some kind of Mepps spinner bait. I figured he would get tired of it and try something else later on. Wrong! The guy started catching fish. He ended up catching several crappie in the 10" range but also caught white perch and even catfish. He only had that one bait so I just practiced my casting skills while he fished. A couple times he got hung and it was panic in the boat until he got it unhung. We eventually fished the Hwy 13/158 bridge pilings on the way out and I caught some hefty catfish on my 14 foot trolling rod. Ended the day with fish to clean but I just wanted to share this bait that got us pointed in the right direction catching wise. I'll probably have to put at least one in my tackle box.

Name:  20190503_081016.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  52.6 KB
    Jim

US Navy Gunner's mate 1984-1990
    Thanks captdave thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You never know, I am open to any bait.

Post Thanks / Like

we used to call that a rooster tail and to be sure many times in the spring if you didn't have one you got to watch the guys that did ketch fire out the fish …..nice read
    beyond deadly on white bass runs for sure
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

I always have a rooster tail in the boat. I don't throw them often but on days when it looks like the skunk is coming, I always throw it before calling it quits. I've never caught a crappie on one that I can remember, but I know those baits will catch any fish that swims, if the time is right.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was young I couldn't live without a rooster tail. I'm much smarter now though! I probably should get a few new one's. What the heck, I've got so many different stuff now, new rooster tails might actually catch me fish! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

White and silver inline spinners are my favorite white bass lure. Wal-Mart had some the other day for less than a dollar.

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

That is why I always buy 2 of every bait that I buy. I hate the thought of losing the one bait they want or my partner not having the bait they biting on. Of course I make him beg and scramble a little before I hand it to him. hahaha
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "D" View Post
    That is why I always buy 2 of every bait that I buy. I hate the thought of losing the one bait they want or my partner not having the bait they biting on. Of course I make him beg and scramble a little before I hand it to him. hahaha
    You're nicer than I am. I charge them rent. LOL
    Likes Cropduster1968 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The inline spinner catches them all! caught ton of crappies with it along with spoons too!