Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: muddy high water post spawn fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default muddy high water post spawn fish

Those that follow my posts know I frequent several water bodies in my area. I typically don't let weather or water conditions dictate when I should go or if I should go .
    So this in turn creates scenarios in many cases that I consider to be less than favorable for the pursuit of crappie.
    This leads to this post and how knowledge of what they might do when and where often makes for a pleasant outing .I rolled up to a muddy high water scenario this week and also know these particular fish are trying to wind down on the spawn. Sure some have eggs and some small males are still shallow but the big fish and herds of them are fading into the sunset .
    Now here we go , I think to myself what would SK do ?…..
    All kidding aside we think in similar fashion on several subjects involving the pursuit of crappie and one of the things he brought to my attention as we chatted a few years ago was how high in the water column a crappie might be in muddy water.
    So I employed a presentation that most wouldn't consider and presented my bait at 3 to 4 foot down in 14 to 16 foot of water . Sure enough they tried to knock the paint off it I swear . And even if I went into half the depth of water that's still the depth to present the jig .
    I didn't manage any real large ones but I got my line broke multiple times and assume I let the big ones get away ? One thing for certain I managed a real high number of fish in a fairly short 1.5 hours of jig dipping . I will include a thumb photo I took at work after I quit on them to further reinforce this fish story
    I only used 2 colors and it didn't seem to make much difference on the bite when I changed colors . 7:30 am to 9:00 am and it was overcast with on and off slight drizzle .
    have a nice weekend and stay tuned
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes SuperDave336, Redge, S10CHEVY, ad1974, Paris LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime you have the battle scars on your thumb proves you've had a great day. Love the pics and stories!!! Now take it easy with that pen in your hand, rest up for next war.....
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice post, did you use a cork for your 3-4’ presentation?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

I did cork a little in the shallow water ,but the fish were all small 8 to 9 inch range male fish and a green sunfish and a big catfish that broke my line on the bank . 95% of the fish that trip were vertically jigged in deeper water .
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great post as usual. Interesting that you found them so high in the water column. Taking notes.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catchn Ketch'um .......

I'm waiting on these storms to pass down here so I can go wack aahh few.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Great post as usual. Interesting that you found them so high in the water column. Taking notes.
    the othesr on the dock after crappie watched me a while before they followed suit . the one old boy insisted they were on the bottom 1 crank up until about my 4th in 4 drops …..

Post Thanks / Like

Great point! That's why I always fish the entire water column, top to bottom. "One method Petes" don't last long in this game!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Great point! That's why I always fish the entire water column, top to bottom. "One method Petes" don't last long in this game!
    no doubt my friend and this is the one reason I rarely cant ketch a few crappie . they are pretty easy if you can get a bait in front of them .its that getting it in front of them that's difficult most of the time .
    I do enjoy the no electronics and foot work quite a bit . I find it far less of a challenge to use a boat and a graph to chase them but at the same time I enjoy that method of attack if the opportunity rears its head .
    and to be sure its a never say never game with these fish .

Post Thanks / Like

I like it when they leave me with a rough thumb! Good job!

LOL, that water looks standard for us around here... we don’t call it muddy until it’s might near solid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast