Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Auto inflate life jackets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Auto inflate life jackets

Looking to upgrade my life jackets and in checking on auto inflate models am finding that some show "SOLAS" approved and some show "USCG" approved. What is the difference in the approvals? Would both approval types meet requirements for freshwater boating use. Can anyone clear this up for me???? It seems that in most instances the SOLAS approved units are some what cheaper but description does not say USCG approved?????
    Last edited by "D"; 05-03-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Solas come from the UAE. Don't know if they are approved by USCG. A few dollars more and you know they are approved and you don't have to worry about getting fined. I wear one during the warmer months but don't wear in real cold water, I wear a vest than during waterfowl season.

Post Thanks / Like

They are different approval ratings for international use. If it doesn't specify USCG, it isn't going to be acceptable.

As a side note, check local laws to ensure inflatables are good when not worn. USCG now considers them just like any other vest and go by the type rating on the tag, some states behind the times have not updated their laws. Inflatables originally were classified as type IV and many states added the wording in their laws. Unfortunately, when the vests changed, their laws didn't.

Here is an article defining USCG, ISO, SOLAS and others.

Understanding the Different Types of Life Jackets? | Expert Advice
    Thanks Crestliner08 thanked you for this post